uprated alternator

Any electrical issues

by damo1023 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:36 pm

after putting my new sound system in recently i have found that my alternator cant really keep up.
i know halfords do uprated alternators but i was wondering wether the different calibras alternators are compatible and also if the v6 and turbo versions have a higher output than one off of an 97 ecotec.
i already have a higher capacity battery and a power cap but if i run the system the blower light etc i get the battery light coming on faintly.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks
damien
damo1023

by Col_UK » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:45 pm

i'd not buy one from halfords, the retail on mine (120amp) was well over £200
i think they do have slightly higher outputs but the chassis won't be any good
you'd have to stick with a 16v one
Col_UK

Can a sub flatten my battery

by damo1023 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:55 pm

might have to look around and see if i can find any info on re wroking the internals then my old chaps and electronic engineer so might be able to do something if he has the diagrams .
its either that or i go for a deta deep cycle and starting battery as i can get these direct from work at £100.
damien
damo1023

by Col_UK » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:49 am

the battery would be good but an uprated alt is the way to go as well
speak to a local motor factors, someone like Camberly Auto Factors, I got mine trade price but none the less they're retail was only around £120 then
Col_UK

by hillcrew » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:30 pm

demon tweeks do uprated alternators as well in the racing catalouge there not to pricey either
hillcrew

by damo1023 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:19 pm

cheers lads i might have something sorted out now.
damien
damo1023

by Topbuzz » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:16 pm

> but i was wondering wether the different calibras alternators are compatible

Just fit a biger alt from another VX car.
If you have a 4 cyclinder engine, any alt off another 4 cylinder engine will fit, but NOT V6 (they mount differently).
For my C20LET I replaced the 70A unit for a 100A off a X reg Vectra. I paied £40 at scrappy for it.

Same goes for V6 owners, can fit any V6 alt from a V6 engine but not 4 cylinder engines.
Alan Knight (Topbuzz)
=======================
W: www.topbuzz.co.uk
E: webmaster@topbuzz.co.uk
=======================
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net