SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

by SAMARAI » Sun May 05, 2013 7:47 am

UPDATE!

Its been a while since I've updated with progress on the cali.

Now I've always dreamed about a sub.. especially after my mother's old BMW had one! I love good quality music and it always keeps me sane on long drives!
So after a year and a half of umming and ahhing, i finally decided i could justify one! My Type S 6x9's were awesome but lacking a little bass to my ears. So I eventually decided on a 10" active sub.

BEFORE

AFTER

After some haggling, this set me back $169 and ticked all my boxes..
- Small enough so my boot is still practical (My guitar still fits in the boot even with the sub in there)
- Low not Loud
- Not vibrate my trim/passengers till they fall off ;)

After figuring out how to get the positive lead through the firewall and connected to the positive terminal of the battery, the rest was easy enough!
Im in love with my sound system! DAT BASS <3 hahaa

Now Im not sure if its all in the car's build or something but even at the max volume that I enjoy the music without it getting distorted.. with the windows up and standing outside the car its barely audible and there is never any numberplate rattling which are two pluses! I haven't done any sound deadning.. Calibra manufacturing for the win XD

Oh also another win is that it fits perfectly behind where spare wheel pokes out and the back seat.. it was a very snug fit and the carpeting is almost 100% to the original boot carpeting already there! I cannot be happier with how it all turned out! :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next it was round 2 of the DIY third brake light template!

So this time after a few suggestions I had my 2nd more refined attempt at this idea.

First I ordered two of these bad boys!

The idea of this decal on my rear windshield was exciting and as it also turned out the text size was exactly the same size I needed for the width of the template.

So I cut the letters out, then using my previous attempt traced that same shape onto a piece of laminate. Cut that out, glued the letters down, spray painted over them and then took the letters off leaving the clear laminate showing through.

From there it was as simple as peel and stick and away we go!

My phone doesn't do it justice and the red of the tail lights and brake light looks washed out.. but I love this simple DIY!
Feels good to stand out from the pack and advertise the Calibra when a driver pulls up behind me at the red lights!
Not sure if its a permanent addition but I love it!
It looks way more effective at night but sadly the phone doesn't do much justice! but you get the idea :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next I came across one of these bad boys!
My jaw nearly dropped when my cousin surprised me with this! Tis epic ;) same colour and all!

hahaa a model of your car.. which enthusiast says no! hahaa :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some photos from when I was up in the hills at my mates place!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Do List:
- Fix loosely fitting gaitor.
- New wiper blades.
- Fix sagging head liner (SO ANNOYING, but I have found a few places near me that specialize in it)
- Re-paint and remove rear bumper black vinyls
(I got used to them but they are every so slowly annoying me now..
Especially after seeing this)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 pm

What's the big red "P" for?
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

Re: Re: SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

by SAMARAI » Sun May 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Mark1 wrote:What's the big red "P" for?

Ahh yes.. That day my sister was practicing some manual and she is on her 'Provisional' licence.. Therefore the 'P' plate signifies that!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 pm

you really need to get rid of them black bits on the back....it spoils the whole car
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Re: SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

by SAMARAI » Mon May 06, 2013 7:41 am

Fraz wrote:you really need to get rid of them black bits on the back....it spoils the whole car

Yeah I know right? Lol
I've been meaning to for ages just gotta find the time for it!
At least till then it's a unique (yet ugly) trait ;)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am

Fraz wrote:you really need to get rid of them black bits on the back.... it spoils the whole car

Mate...

What are you waiting for? Do it, NOW!!!

The white door handles look great, even with the black strips...

I can hook you up with some handles, that won't require you to use a different key...
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Wed May 08, 2013 1:18 pm

EddeyDancer wrote:
Fraz wrote:you really need to get rid of them black bits on the back.... it spoils the whole car

Mate...
What are you waiting for? Do it, NOW!!!
The white door handles look great, even with the black strips...
I can hook you up with some handles, that won't require you to use a different key...

Time restrictions are the only thing getting in my way. Im a student, I work, I do work experience and am a part of a choir, quartet, band and acapella duo. Its priority one as of late.. but may have to wait until holiday break!

i'm definitely considering it mate. Not sure if I want to steer clear too much of the stock form!
But yes I have seen photos of white Calibra's with white door handles and still black trim! they look good!
I'll definitely contact you If I decide to go ahead! cheers
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

UPDATE!

- Completed White LED Speedo/Guages install
- Installed new Pioneer Bluetooth Headunit
- Installed White Vectra door handles
- Removed sagging roof liner
- Installed new Subwoofer (Autobahn replaced my faulty active sub free of charge!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The stock colour for lighting up the gauges was a dull orange, I decided to go for white LED's as blue seemed a little too ricey to me. Loving the new look)

BEFORE + previously installed chrome surrounds:

AFTER:

- New Pioneer Headunit (The bluetooth means no more usb cables to plug the ipod in :D Love that! The headunit also came with a microphone that I've wired to the top of the drivers side front windshield pillar. This now gives me handsfree bluetooth when my phone is connected to the headunit! Love this new headunit!)

My cabin is now full of fresh bright white! A welcome modification to my car! all that's left to finish the LED install is to convert the switches which require soldering and custom work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE : Standard black Calibra handles

AFTER : White Colour coded Vectra handles

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I think the white handles sit so much better against the white colour of the car. The handles sit flush and give the car a much more modern look I think.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Do List:

- Install White or Blue Neons in the footwells that turn on when doors are opened
- Re trim the roof lining
- Get a replacement set of tyres for rears as I discovered a pin with the head the size of 10c coin in my rear left tyre :(
- Remove black vinyls from rear bumper bar
- White converted switches
- (Long term) Angel eyes
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:14 pm

Update!

Today I went about removing the rear bumper vinyls! This was long overdue! All that's left is to use some bug/tar remover and a polish and the yellow residue left behind will be gone.

BEFORE

REMOVAL

FINISHED - Got to get rid of that yellow residue! looks like the vinyl has stained the colour of the paint.. :c

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A photo of the pin I found in my rear left tyre a few days ago (The clicking noise while driving is now explained lol)

Then a sun shower started halfway through my work

and finally a shot getting a little fancy with macro mode and angles
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Update Time!

I've installed some White LED converted switches. Mine originally had just the rear fog light and just the headlight switcher. Now I've got the front fog and headlight adjuster also in white LED. Loving the look.. even though they aren't connected to anything.. hopefully the front Fog switch (which was a pain to find) will be good motivation to grab a set of angel eyes soon!

Before: Stock Orange (Very dull was annoying me)

After: White LED's

The on indicator I've gone for red.

Loving the fresh vibes in the car. Atm I've ordered my 3 remaining heater control switches which are still yet to be converted to white to finish the look.
I think the white is alot more fresh and modern. Last night I converted my mate's Hyundai Accent speedo to blue LED's and gosh was it annoying to look at!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other news last night I fiddled with some spare LED strips and hooked them up in a way that they light up the footwells only when the doors open! Loving this DIY mod!

Hardest part was finding which wire was which since before I installed them they were a pair of multi coloured LED's.

That's all for now! some more wiring up of LED strips to come! Stay tuned!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Small Update!

Today using a spare Led strip I had lying around, I wired it up illuminate the area under the ashtray as it was looking quite dark and lonely there :P It looks alot brighter on this pic than it really is.. seems my phone cant handle bright light properly! ;)

Do I need it? Not really.. but I like it and it's now inspired me to put white strips into the door cards so I get a good balance of white and red led lighting around me!

Also as she stands!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Mods to Date - 25/07/13

UPDATE!
Current Mods:
- 3.5inch exhaust tip
- Chrome Tow Bar ball (old one was rusted)
- White wiper blades
- Resprayed the top half of the front bumper
- 17" ROH Rims
- Replaced both indicator stalks (print was faded on both)
- Painted calipers red
- Pioneer Headunit MHV-355BT
- Alpine Type S 6x9 speakers, Parcel Shelf
- Alpine Type S 6" fronts
- Replaced stock tweeters with 1997 v6 Calibra tweeters
- Audio Z 10" Active Tube Subwoofer
- XX Premium Numberplates
- Opelised + Chrome converted badging on tailgate
- White LED's everywhere (Pending 3 switches - En Route)
- Blacked the door/bumper trim
- Bee Sting Aerial
- Clear side repeaters with Orange LED's
- Replaced leather gear stick gator
- 35% Tint
- Custom Boot brake light "Calibra" template
- Chrome Speedo Dial Surrounds
- White LED speedo
- Black vinyl removal off rear bumper
- White LED Converted Fog/headlight switches
- Red LED strips in front footwells
- White LED strip under ashtray
- Blue ciggarette lighter surround

Future Mods:
- Steering wheel Opel Emblem/Sticker (En Route)
- Add LED lighting to rear footwells and door cards (En Route)
- Re-line roof lining
- Black Angel Eyes
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:33 pm

so did you manage to sort out the back bumper then?
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by SAMARAI » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:02 pm

Allys Cally wrote:so did you manage to sort out the back bumper then?

There are photo's above on my process. Yeah the black vinyls on the back bumper is off now. I gave it a good scrubbing in bleach as the vinyl residue had stained the bumper yellow. Now after a week or so of open air.. the yellow colour is almost barely visible!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:10 pm

What you need now are nice set of ClubCalibra.net stickers for the rear side windows and be the first in Oz. :D
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by Allys Cally » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 pm

yeah it was the staining on the bumper i was talking about :wink:
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

PreviousNext