VXT Racing Development's Calibra... UPDATED 21.04.14

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Mike's Calibra... UPDATED 29/05/10

by U_V6 » Sun May 30, 2010 1:33 pm

what purpose serves that cone filter?
U_V6

by MadOnVaux! » Sun May 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Nice work :)

Why replace the crossmember bushes?, did you have a knocking or are they just worn?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Sun May 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Induction kit is a Blitz one that come off my Rover Coupe Turbo, Cost over £100 so thought I might aswell put it to use, doesnt really make much difference, little bit smoother in the rev range and makes a loud roar when booting it...

Crossmember bushes were looking tired thought I might as well do them while I was doing the other bushes...
VXT RACING DEVELOPMENTS - Designed by Vauxhall... Modified by Me...
The VXT Calibra, back on the road Oct'13... the Adventure Continues...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by U_V6 » Mon May 31, 2010 7:23 am

ever heard that those cones are useless spending of money? at least on stock engines and without proper heat isolation from engine bay?
not to mention load of crap it let's through itself?
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm - some nice reading about them...
U_V6

by Fraz » Mon May 31, 2010 11:55 am

why ask the question if you already know the answer??.

U_V6 wrote:what purpose serves that cone filter?

U_V6 wrote:ever heard that those cones are useless spending of money? at least on stock engines and without proper heat isolation from engine bay?
not to mention load of crap it let's through itself?
http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm - some nice reading about them...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by U_V6 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:10 pm

Fraz, I was trying to be polite... guess - didn't succeed. :assshaking:
U_V6

by Calibra_Mike » Mon May 31, 2010 4:47 pm

I beg to differ... sure I understand that the engine bay fills with heat from the engine and that having a big cone sat there sucking in that air might not be the best, but then again there is a big old air feed coming in from the bumper up to the come and I know this works cos when i fitted it I took the car for a test drive and apart from the loud induction noise the cone gave off when under load, the cone was still rather chilled after a good 30 mins of driving, I know this cos I stopped and opened the bonnet and felt the cone... now in traffic I would say the cone isnt gonna be the best but its not really gonna matter than much then...

The idea of a cone is it gives a greater surface area to drawn air in, and also the Blitz filter is a lot thicker and designed to filter smaller particals unlike a lot of cheap cones, so its not really sucking in much more crap then a regular panel filter...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by U_V6 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:36 pm

Mike, you really think - stock air filter can't provide enough air for your x20xev with it's 136 horses? then why the same filter can provide for 170horses in v6? or even turbo (okok, it's forced induction, not atmo engine :).
of course - cold air pipe, compared to full stock system, is superior in terms of power.

speaking of Blitz - on MaxBoost was a link to test of air filters. iirc, blitz also was tested... still not good.
U_V6

by Calibra_Mike » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:09 pm

stock air filter doesn't make it go grrr grrr though ;) we could debate this all day long, personal preference... I like an induction kit, sounds nicer and looks better... maybe next time the club has a rolling road day ill bring the stock air box along and give it a run with and without the cone, then we'll know the difference for sure...

:snooty:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Got the Front suspension arms changed over now along with the anti-roll bar links and the rear crossmember bushes, I forgot how time consuming it was to do, but well worth it, just the track ends, engine mount and aux belt to do... oh and a load of other bit on 'The List'

But for now at least I dont get anymore strange noises coming from the front and the ride feels a lot firmer...

Few pics...

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by U_V6 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

shame that those rear crossmember bushes aren't made in polyurethan (powerflex and others)... their official answer was "nobody needs them" :D
U_V6

by MadOnVaux! » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:31 pm

How much of a job where those rear bushes?...do you reckon a garage would be better at it, baring in mind i'm not that clued up on that stuff.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:53 pm

rear bushes were pretty easy to be honest, took about an hour a side but I could have been quicker if i didnt stop for a fag and cup of tea...

3 bolts... get the old one out with a big screwdriver, clean up the crossmember where the new ones going with some emery paper, push in the new bush, bit of soapy water and a rubber mallet helps, then do the 3 bolts back up... easy...

I think they do do poly crossmember bushes I swear I found them on my search but they were something like £120 each or something silly like that...
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Calibra_Mike wrote:rear bushes were pretty easy to be honest, took about an hour a side but I could have been quicker if i didnt stop for a fag and cup of tea...

3 bolts... get the old one out with a big screwdriver, clean up the crossmember where the new ones going with some emery paper, push in the new bush, bit of soapy water and a rubber mallet helps, then do the 3 bolts back up... easy...

Hmm,cheers...so you dont need to drop or support the trailing arms or owt like that?...and would you recommend a new bolt for the centre of the bush or is the old one ok to re-use?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Calibra_Mike » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:46 pm

no need to support the arms and the old bolt will be fine to re-use...

a claw hammer would work just as well I would think ;)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext