The Calibra Nurburgring challenge

For all general things Calibra related

The Calibra Nurburgring challenge

by Chavtastic » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:16 am

Morning guys

My 911 is now sold, and I've decided my next track cars are going to be an M3, and a Calibra... the latter of which I'm picking up in the next few days all being well!

The Calibra will be very track orientated (lightweight, powerful, lots of chassis mods). My (ambitious) goal is a sub 8 minute lap of the Nurburgring next year.

I was wondering if anyone else would like to join me and some friends over in Germany next year to set a good lap time? The idea being we use this thread for a Top Gear style leaderboard! It seems like a good idea to me because it's a chance to test how good our cars are, how good our driving is and have a lot of fun along the way on the worlds' greatest racetrack. I'll be happy to take anyone round for a few passenger laps, offer advice on setting the car up etc...

We will also be doing shakedown events in the spring at Oulton Park and Cadwell Park, the latter of which is like a mini Nurburgring!

I am hoping to get enough people interested over the winter to be able to get a few of us in a convoy driving over next year, perhaps even camp together etc...

Feel free to ask any questions about the trip, the track, the cost, what sort of mods are best etc and I'll do my best to answer them!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: The Calibra Nurburgring challenge

by KERR_SE9 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm up for it, but sadly you're not my number 1 fan, as I'm building a calibra for track use, I'm also a regular track day go'er! Myself and some mates are planning a trip to the ring next year.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:52 pm

On a more serious note, the alloy wishbones can be bought from any motor factors so whatever year you go for ,you can still get them as I'm assuming they all bolt onto the calibra subframe anyway.

Please create a build thread as I'm interested in sorting my own car out for track days and want to see what can be done with a fwd cally, as I'm using a 4x4 and wondering if the extra grips worth the extra weight/hassle.

Be good to see how well it can be made to handle and how light you can make it
Good luck
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:43 pm

Cheers mate I'd prefer OEM Saab, plus you need the anti-roll bar to go with it as the end fittings are different I believe!

They give you 2.5 degrees camber which is awesome!

Add to that some adjustable topmounts and you've got caster adjustment. Rears are a little more involved but I'm considering rose-jointing them to make them more solid and more adjustable.

Have a read of this too for some other ideas for your wishbones
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/other-me ... a-mk3.html
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 pm

I'll check that out cheers, so what's your reasoning behind the b 204 over an let? Assuming as it's cheap, what kinda power you looking for?

It would also be good to tighten up the callys steering as there's no feel compared to other cars
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:27 pm

KERR_SE9 wrote:I'll check that out cheers, so what's your reasoning behind the b 204 over an let? Assuming as it's cheap, what kinda power you looking for?

It would also be good to tighten up the callys steering as there's no feel compared to other cars

Pros:
Widely available in cars that have not been thrashed (ie automatic Saabs!)
Cheaper to buy, sometimes free when you break the donor car
No porous head issues
Better ignition system (LET ones are s***e)
DIY mappable ECU
Cheaper to tune anywhere between 200-400+bhp
More reliable to tune anywhere between 200-400+bhp
Garrett turbo fitment as standard
Better flowing head
Options to go to 2.3L and above, or a hybrid build

Cons:
Slightly heavier than a LET
Needs a wiring adapter
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:29 pm

There's guys near my unit who run 204s in Astra vans over 500bhp, If required I can get hints and tips although to be fair they do blow up
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net