Billing comments

For all general things Calibra related

Billing comments

by GreyDJ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:40 am

As well as having a couple of Cally Turbos and being a guest on here, I have a few Mk2 Cavaliers and I am the Mk2Cav VBOA rep.

I thought that the ClubCalibra stand was excellent but what really amazed me was the number of Calibras already there by lunchtime on Friday. From our position the stand looked full, we did quite well but there was only 6 of us MK2s. No other Club there came close and by Sunday the quality of cars was one of the best at the show.

Great stuff!
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Billing comments and VBOA

by tazz666 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:44 am

aye but your cavs were mostly in good nick mate and i have had 8 in my past still have one up the road now beyond repair,so i say well done to you guys
tazz666

Re: Billing comments

by Callyman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks very good of you to say so GreyDJ and some of those MK2 Cav's are stunning.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by coxy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:25 pm

I was very impressed with both stands and one of the best MK11 stands I have seen for turn out and quality I hope we can get our two cavs up to the standard you had

Gray
Best standard car club calibra billing 2010
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by GreyDJ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks guys, I'll pass your comments on.

I'd like to say that the number of Mk2s had stabilised but it hasn't. The deadly tinworm is still taking its toll. I myself have had to scrap 2 in the last 12 months with another going soon.

At least rust is nowhere near the same issue with Calibras (mind you, when did you last check your A pillar up behind the wing?) and probably never will be as the better steel/primer/galvanising etc will come into its own over the next few years. However, that better protection leads to increased galvanic corrosion at joints (like that sill joint under the door) and bits that act as corrosion anodes (like the hangers for the rear bumper behind the wheels).
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:16 am

I already have ideas for next year and if anybody has any then pleasee let me know but we won't be dressing up. I had 2 MK2 cav's an SR and a SRi and stell have a bit of a soft spot for them
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by GreyDJ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:57 am

I think most people who have driven cars of that era, especially the sports versions, miss them.

Once the 'advances' of the late 80's arrived as standard, like power steering, ABS, improved sound reduction, air-con, traction control, etc., driving became a much less involving experience requiring less skill to drive quickly safely. Part of the de-skilling of life that has occurred over the past 30 years.

Hammering down a country road in a Cavalier SRi130 (or Mk1 Golf GTi, XR2 or Montego Turbo for that matter) is a very different experience from doing the same in my Callibra Turbo, let alone a current VXR Astra. Then there is the upper body strength needed to park a 195 shod car with no power steering.

I hope I will be driving mine for the rest of my life.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tazz666 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:31 pm

GreyDJ wrote:I think most people who have driven cars of that era, especially the sports versions, miss them.

Once the 'advances' of the late 80's arrived as standard, like power steering, ABS, improved sound reduction, air-con, traction control, etc., driving became a much less involving experience requiring less skill to drive quickly safely. Part of the de-skilling of life that has occurred over the past 30 years.

Hammering down a country road in a Cavalier SRi130 (or Mk1 Golf GTi, XR2 or Montego Turbo for that matter) is a very different experience from doing the same in my Callibra Turbo, let alone a current VXR Astra. Then there is the upper body strength needed to park a 195 shod car with no power steering.

I hope I will be driving mine for the rest of my life.

you forgot to mention the steering damper and gives you arms like popeye
tazz666

by v6 steve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:00 pm

i think we had the best stand with out a doubt i was shocked that we never won the best stand cup and was beaton by the duke brothers, Well done Mark for planning and organising the stand :clap: , I think we need to do somthing a bit out the box next year to make sure we win it
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net