FM radio going silent in under 5 years?

For all general things Calibra related

FM radio going silent in under 5 years?

by GreyDJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:03 pm

As you may have heard, this Government is planning to continue with the Labour laws to shut down FM radio in 2015.

This will reduce to silence virtually all FM radios installed in cars as well as the traffic updates on Sat-Navs. We will then need to buy new digital radio capable units if we want to continue listening to the radio and TA announcements. How this will be done is uncertain but will almost certainly eliminate those of us who still use cassettes!

In many ways this can be regarded as a 'stealth' tax (due to the VAT revenue) as digital radio is inferior in quality to FM.

If you do not want this to happen please add your comment on the 'Have your say' site that the Government has set up on doing away with unwanted legislation. This topic is now the one getting the most requests. You will find it at

http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/repeal...necessary-laws

and there is a simple 'instant' register procedure you have to go through.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: FM radio going silent in under 5 years?

by caprixpack » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:33 pm

not wanting to burst your bubble but it was only a matter of time till something like this was planned and it will happen regardless of how many people sign the petition on the government website, it happened with tv so it only makes sense to do it with radio.you can't halt progress just because a few people like am/fm radio and cassettes.

personally i can't stand the radio
caprixpack

by GreyDJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:51 pm

I have 4 FM capable radios/hi-fi in the house and another 6 in cars. I really don't want to have to change them.

One of them is in an old Jaguar which has the old style 'hole/cut-out/hole' fitting that is unlikely to be replicated in the days of DIN standard cutouts. So probably no radio then.

Unlike with TV, where it is easy to use a set-top box to keep using an old analogue TV, with radio that is not possible so it has to be junked.

Maybe you don't like radio but ask your parents/grand-parents.

I think people should be allowed to change when they want to and the more people that say it the more likely the Government will do it.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:10 pm

had one of them DAB radios in a car (was not mine) and it was rubbish, never picked up radio 2
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by vinny_69 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Fraz wrote:never picked up radio 2

is that such a bad thing???? :lol:
vinny_69

by GreyDJ » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

vinny_69 wrote:
Fraz wrote:never picked up radio 2

is that such a bad thing???? :lol:

Yes, a lot of traffic reports are on Radio 2
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by vinny_69 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

you mean twaffic weports i cant stand that Git
vinny_69

by vinny_69 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 pm

you mean wirless Dj's :lol:
vinny_69

by vinny_69 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:05 pm

young people call it radio

old people always call it Wireless :doh: takes all the fun outta it when i have to explain it :(
vinny_69

by vinny_69 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:22 pm

behave :lol: im a pup
vinny_69

by Tim2001 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 am

GreyDJ wrote:I have 4 FM capable radios/hi-fi in the house and another 6 in cars. I really don't want to have to change them.

One of them is in an old Jaguar which has the old style 'hole/cut-out/hole' fitting that is unlikely to be replicated in the days of DIN standard cutouts. So probably no radio then.

Unlike with TV, where it is easy to use a set-top box to keep using an old analogue TV, with radio that is not possible so it has to be junked.

Maybe you don't like radio but ask your parents/grand-parents.

I think people should be allowed to change when they want to and the more people that say it the more likely the Government will do it.

Cough you can get the equivalent for set top boxes for the car radios check out argos got mine from there as radio 5 is medium wave and dissapears on most of my trips. With the digital its crystal clear all the way.
Tim2001