How has it been over 3 YEARS since I've posted...

For all general things Calibra related

How has it been over 3 YEARS since I've posted...

by projectx » Tue May 11, 2010 2:18 am

Hello chaps and chapesses,

I had the rare occasion of a free evening for Internet musings, so thought I'd drop on here and have a quick look around. I believe I've now been on here about 90 minutes just flicking through various posts, and I'm really glad that the atmosphere that started me on here in 2004 in the first place seems to have remained. Figured I'd post a few lines just to let you know what's been going on for me car-wise the past few years, as hopefully there's a few of you on here that remember the long evenings I spent on here every night for at least a couple of years, and therefore might want to know :)

So firstly, I'm afraid the Cally Turbo is gone. I had over 5 years of (some cursing) brilliant fun out of it, and by process of elimination by myself, and not without a fair amount of help from our good friend Stu, managed to squeeze just over 300bhp and about 320lbft out of it before selling it on. I doubt I'll own another car as fast as it without a win on the lottery or a much better job.

So the story, basically, is that early in 2008, due mainly to a new lady in my life (now my Fiancee) the mileage I was doing went up by a factor of 4. So I hunted down a cheap run-about in the form of an Astra Estate 1.7dTi. The plan being to run the two cars alongside. This actually happened, for nearly 18 months, but basically, during the first year, I was using the Cally less and less, and two lots of insurance and tax wasn't going un-noticed. I think the problem was that despite the Astra being slow as hell, it was actually still quite fun to chuck about, and the roads around my area are gradually being crippled by having all the country lanes reduced to 40 or even 30MPH anyway. So in March last year, I decided to bite the bullet and get shot, with the intent of getting something more in the middle of the two cars, and then flogging my Astra, because I wouldn't want just that car.

And that's pretty much what I did...Some guy with 4 kids came and bought my Turbo off eBay...He seemed very intent on keeping it as a Cally, rather than ripping out the engine and dumping it in a Nova/Corsa etc., which is always a bonus as there's enough of those projects out there already. I did give him the details of this site, but I don't know if he ever showed up... I then spent 3-4 months hunting down what I now own, bought it, then sold my Astra, which had given me two years of faithful service and hardly cost me anything in servicing etc.

And the solution to my need to find a hybrid between the two cars...I'm now driving an Audi A6 estate (Avant if you prefer the posh word) 2000 reg, with the 4.2 v8 which I almost immediately converted to LPG. That gives me fuel costs somewhere between the two, same space as the Astra, leather like the Cally, speed in the same ballpark as the Cally (I'm not kidding myself, it's slower, but still very punchy), 4x4 like the Cally (only better really). Also surprisingly reasonable to insure, and as I went for an old tax bracket car, tax is the same cost as my Cally was, and fuel cost is kinda like running a 2 litre focus/mondeo, so not bad really. This way, I get to drive something that gives me most of the things I liked from the Cally, but that I can drive everyday without any of the compromises that resulted in my climbing into the Astra.

So that's it really...Just thought I'd drop on here, say hi, let you know I'm not dead or kidnapped :) and inform you that unfortunately I am no longer a Calibra owner.

I am however still regularly in touch with Stu, so he lets me know when events are cropping up, and at some point, I've been promising myself, I will actually find the time to make it along to one, hide my Audi in the corner somewhere, and then come be social for a bit :)

Hope you're all doing well, and nice to see that my post count has now dwindled somewhat in comparison to some of the heavy-hitters these days lol. I would've been embarassed if I'd come back to find I was still in the top 6 or 7 like before.

I'll definately come back and check in a couple of days or sooner, in case any of you peeps have posted anything in this thread. Take care.

--
Chris (calibra-less, and *mostly* not regretting it)
projectx

Re: How has it been over 3 YEARS since I've posted...

by Mark1 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:03 am

Hello long time no see.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by RobbieV » Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 am

Hi and good to hear from you :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by vinny_69 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 pm

i think you were a bit before my time Chris but thanks for stopping bye and letting the old guys know what you have been upto :lol: i do have one question.....

do you think you will ever get back into cally ownership?
vinny_69

by Fraz » Tue May 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello and welcome back...even if it is only to show off :D

you have a bout 8 weeks to get your self sorted out for Billing ....that would be the best one to come along to
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Tue May 11, 2010 8:13 pm

hi mate think you are before my time too but its always good to meet old members
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by BazV6er » Wed May 12, 2010 12:24 pm

nice to hear that your doing well chris ... :alright:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phantom » Wed May 12, 2010 2:43 pm

hiya Chris good to know you're still around
Phantom

by projectx » Tue May 25, 2010 12:36 am

OK, so didn't quite get to replying after just a couple of days, but I did check back a few times inbetween....Great there's a few of you who still remember me, though by the looks of it there's a few other heavy regulars that aren't around anymore. And thanks for the shout from a couple of the more recent guys.

To answer the questions in turn:

Vinny....
To be honest, I suspect not. I had a great 5 years with my Cally, and by the time I sold her on, boy did it shift (pretty much properly working Phase 3.5+). But I found it just above my tolerance threshold in terms of how much time I wanted to spend under the bonnet or down the garage. That's not to say it wasn't dependable, and very rarely actually properly let me down (the most memorable of which being a water hose literally exploding under full throttle when I was already late for an important appointment), but it was one of those cars that had to be in the right mood to deliver the full beans, whether it was the boost reg by the wastegate, the 4x4 occasionally tripping out, occasional det on really hot days. If I get to a point where I decide my A6 isn't quick enough for me, and I can't afford an RS6 (12k+ is still way too much for me), I'll have a think about what to do then, but I think my Calibra days are done.

Fraz....
I'll have a chat with Stu next time I spot him on MSN about Billing, thanks for the heads up. And as for showing off (yeah I know you're joking) I bet I've spent less buying and running this car the last 9 months than I spent buying and running my Cally the first 9 months...but if it's a choice between succumbing to an estate, or showing off...I guess I'll choose the latter :D

Nice to hear from a few of you...Cheers guys.

--
Chris
projectx

by splinter » Mon May 31, 2010 2:46 pm

Well well hi there .. :)
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by will73 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

well hi, i no how you feel ive had my cally 10years its not the best car out there but it does make me smile when its working
will73