Newbie rolling resto.

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Newbie rolling resto.

by pigthief » Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Managed to get this driver's corner protected too, hopefully soon the whole underside will look like this :lol:

Thanks for following.
Attachments
IMAG0128.jpg
Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Tue May 05, 2020 11:17 am

Before and after, not to everyones taste but I like it. Image

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 pm

New colour for the sunroof and the interior plastic. With the dark charcoal headliner it'll look great. Image

Club Member
Club Member

by Cliff » Thu May 07, 2020 6:14 am

Looking good - plastic coat or normal spray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

by pigthief » Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 am

Cliff wrote:Looking good - plastic coat or normal spray?

It's a normal spray, same as went on the sunroof, but it has covered really well.

Though taking it all off I found a hole which needs attention, rear wheel arch.

Need to find out now if the Saab 9-3 98-03 used the same Sun visors.

Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Thu May 07, 2020 6:51 pm

So bumper brackets came today

Really happy with how she looks. Not perfect as the paint I used was not a great match and I lost a bit when the masking tape came off

I like it. Also the driver's side weather strip has now been done and tended to a bit of rust round the rear window.

Decided to paint my own Sun visors black and they look pretty good, pics to follow.

Wheels back on tomorrow and air in tyres. Image

Club Member
Club Member

by Cliff » Thu May 07, 2020 6:56 pm

Looking great

Site Admin
Site Admin

by Phill » Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 pm

pigthief wrote:New colour for the sunroof and the interior plastic. With the dark charcoal headliner it'll look great. Image

I was lucky and striped a set of black interior plastic from an early year calibra a long while ago but I'm in the same boat with needing to paint the sun visors, head lining and alarm covers black as they were cream in the car. I remember thinking it would have looked better if Vauxhall had went all black plastic instead of black and cream.
Phill.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Fri May 08, 2020 8:04 pm

You know I had a calibra in about 1993 or 94, can’t quite recall.
I remember when the first SE model came out with cream leather and all of a sudden the black leather was so old... the brighter interior being the more desirable - light and airy. Now roll on 17 years and new cars come with black headliners and we’re all busy trying to uplift to achieve it. So odd how style and fashion comes and goes. That said, I’m sure it’s going to look great. Ally, one of the club members has a black rooflining - looks awesome.

Site Admin
Site Admin

by cal16v » Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi PT,

Bravo job on the welding. Admire anyone with the ***** to take a job on but still dismayed at the pictures... I've bought 7 Cali's in Australia over the years (3 as donors) and not once bothered to check what you guys refer to as the usual spots, arches, firewall etc. Not one car has had a spot of rust larger than 1 p coin. Surface rust mind. Interestingly in the same spots too - bottom left rear window, bottom left boot surround seam-weld or high on the firewall behind the AB plug location. i have never seen a bad floor... Just amazed TBH.

Hey I've repainted 3 interiors as your doing so a little of my experience. Firstly you don't realise at first how many bits need painting! I use a vinyl/fabric style paint in black which dries like a very dark grey which is ideal IMO. The issue with painting the visors is the solvent in the paint breaking the last bit of adhesion of vinyl to foam and the board core. It can be done if you apply the paint very lightly, say 10 extremely light coats.. The main problem area is the centre section of the working side of the visor for obvious reasons. If you are lucky you apply the paint and keep that last bit od adhesion. But it will look loose, heightened now by the fact that its black The courtesy lighting can be separated, removed and painted easily and reasembled. I strongly recommend you do not apply any solvent based paint to the roof lining. I'd just recover it, easy but a pain tbh.

Anyway just a little of my experiences. You seem very capable so I look forward to seeing the results.

/D
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by pigthief » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 pm

Cheers bud, not spraying the headliner getting it recovered, all other things getting colour.

Repair done on the headliner today and covered, finish it off tomorrow and hopefully refitting it

Modified the motor bolts too. Image

Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Wed May 13, 2020 3:34 pm

Couple of bits done over the past few days, both weather strips changed, headliner replaced(not fitted yet) sunroof exterior cover changed to black and internal headliner replaced waiting for rest of roof, drivers door to window seal replacement fitted and have cleared a minor block on one of the sunroof drains.

Starting to look very nice.

Had an electrician come and quite for wiring up the amg seats and that's on going.

Headlight buzzer relay changed,(didn't make it work) oh and a new headunit fitted.

Last edited by pigthief on Wed May 13, 2020 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Wed May 13, 2020 3:35 pm

Club Member
Club Member

by pigthief » Thu May 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Headliner back in and drivers side trim back in, gone in ok but the A pillar plastic is more loose than when removed, think I will need a new one as it will annoy me, especially if it vibrates when driving.

Noticed today that my new rear seats need some more work as it sags slightly off the frame and will need fixing before I fit fully. Image

Club Member
Club Member

by Cliff » Thu May 14, 2020 6:03 pm

That’s looking amazing

Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext