SAMARAI's 'Oops I did it again' Calibra the 3rd Thread!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: SAMARAI's 'Oops I did it again' Calibra the 3rd Thread!

by rips » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 am

That's a huge hole in the header tank. Really neat hole too. I can understand the welding seam getting split but that looks more like someone has drilled a hole in it.

Looks better with the OEM rear lights.

You don't seem to get offended by opinions because you opened yourself right up for comments with your turf footwells so here goes...
I don't think the tinted rear light suit flame red as well as OEM ones, but suit the darker blue colour a lot more. I would be tempted to not bother with getting the new ones tinted, but instead swap them over between the 2 cars.

That's only my opinion & you are welcome to disagree with it 8)
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 am

SAMARAI wrote:So I do need to source another soon. Anyone know of any that are available from ebay?

I'm pretty sure I still have the header tank from when I converted my 8v to V6, I'd have to go digging in my garage to check though.

If you can't find any & are stuck then I'll check & if I still have it, I'm sure we can arrange something. I've shipped parts out to Eddie before.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:33 pm

rips wrote:That's a huge hole in the header tank. Really neat hole too. I can understand the welding seam getting split but that looks more like someone has drilled a hole in it.

Looks better with the OEM rear lights.

You don't seem to get offended by opinions because you opened yourself right up for comments with your turf footwells so here goes...
I don't think the tinted rear light suit flame red as well as OEM ones, but suit the darker blue colour a lot more. I would be tempted to not bother with getting the new ones tinted, but instead swap them over between the 2 cars.

That's only my opinion & you are welcome to disagree with it 8)

I reckon possibly.. May be regulation that the cars sitting at wrecker yards might not be allowed to have coolant sitting in the pipes etc? I may not be close but it definitely looks like a clean drilled hole. I reckon I'll check on the Calibra at that same wrecking yard and see if anyone has just drilled straight through the guard through to the bottle.

Our differing opinions is that makes the world an interesting place bud, all good. To be honest the only reason my red cali got tinted tail lights in the first place was my mate had a spare can of night shade lying around that he really wanted to hook me up with. Q few months after tinting the tail lights the colour coding of the bumper strips and door handles happened and that's when the tinted tail lights started looking out of place. With the dark grey strips it wasn't so bad. Definitely shall suit the darker blue cali much more. I think this time I won't use cheap spray can night shade that makes the lights a little blurry and obvious that they're tinted. I'll go with clear in a can with 10 or 20% black tint mixed in, hopefully for a more classy tint and less cheap spec.

But Anyways thanks mate, honestly :) always good to hear thoughts of my overseas Calibra brothers :)

Yeah I wonder why.. Maybe a split? My theory is wrecker yard took the easy way out of draining the bottl for regulations maybe?

DanSE4 wrote:
SAMARAI wrote:So I do need to source another soon. Anyone know of any that are available from ebay?

I'm pretty sure I still have the header tank from when I converted my 8v to V6, I'd have to go digging in my garage to check though.

If you can't find any & are stuck then I'll check & if I still have it, I'm sure we can arrange something. I've shipped parts out to Eddie before.

Thankyou bud, I'll see how I go with my search for a replacement. If no good I'll get in touch, thanks for that mate means alot.
Looking for a set of bonnet struts for this new cali too. Might trouble you some more, but we'll play it by ear :)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:27 pm

SAMARAI wrote:Thankyou bud, I'll see how I go with my search for a replacement. If no good I'll get in touch

Just checked & I do still have it.

As said, if you get no luck there then you're welcome to this one. Off the top of my head about 40 GBP should cover it with shipping etc but I can get an exact cost if you do end up needing it.

I think the bits I sent Eddie turned up in a couple of weeks but obviously things may take a little longer at this time of year!
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:37 pm

DanSE4 wrote:
SAMARAI wrote:Thankyou bud, I'll see how I go with my search for a replacement. If no good I'll get in touch

Just checked & I do still have it.

As said, if you get no luck there then you're welcome to this one. Off the top of my head about 40 GBP should cover it with shipping etc but I can get an exact cost if you do end up needing it.

I think the bits I sent Eddie turned up in a couple of weeks but obviously things may take a little longer at this time of year!

Ahh lovely, thanks for checking man.
I haven't had much of a chance to look for another replacement yet but whenever you are free and able, an exact price so I can budget towards would be great :)
Cheers mate
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:46 pm

Going by the shipping on the Royal Mail website I could do it for £35 GBP (approximately $72 according to the exchange rate on Google).

I've got absolutely no idea what's good or bad in Australian dollars so you'll have to let me know on that one lol!
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:13 pm

DanSE4 wrote:Going by the shipping on the Royal Mail website I could do it for £35 GBP (approximately $72 according to the exchange rate on Google).

I've got absolutely no idea what's good or bad in Australian dollars so you'll have to let me know on that one lol!

Currently the Aussie dollar isn't very good, which doesn't help much haha.

I'm Trying to see how I can put it into perspective. Maybe local wrecker yard parts should be universal.. So the amount here you'd pay for a small bonnet is about $49 and $77 for a large bonnet. So with shipping I know is what's costing me to get it here.
Definitely a good fall back to grab this one off you if I can't sort another one out soon :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:50 am

The engine swap and auto to manual conversion was put on hold over the study semester but now that holidays are here I can get back into it.

So the plan has been to strip this quite broken blue auto 8v single cam engine and grab the 16v manual engine twin cam with about 110,000kms with new waterpump and timing belt out of my old white one and into this blue one.

So far both engines/trans are out and as of this week both steering wheels, speedo, dash, centre console and glove boxes are removed.

Here are some pics so far:

Final photos before getting started.

Old engine.

Blue and red saying hey.

Blue and white cali as we got started.

Bonnets, crash bars, bumpers, fans and radiators out and on Jack stands.

Engine is out!

----------------
White cali removal. (It really is obvious how much the crash affected the chassis and front end :c But she fared well, considering I almost flipped it and I left without a scratch)

-----------------

At this point I had learnt so much about engine wirings, mounts etc and unfortunately was about a 6 month gap till my progress that's about to follow.
But this engine swap progress was back in January when it was freaking hot! So glad now it's winter I have cover from rain and atleast won't melt whilst working on it hahah
-------------------

A few days ago I got started on my white cali.

First of the interior to get pulled out was the steering wheel surround, stalks, speedo then I got to the heater control panel. I was always scared about getting behind this panel as access behind it was so tough almost next to none.
But turned out it wasn't as impossible as I thought! Yay!

Then the glove box, airbag and steering wheel came off. I'd never done a steering wheel of any car so that was a good experience.

So many cable ties behind the dash holding all the wiring but after cutting them all free the dash came loose woo!

(this brings us to today)

Such a good dash that I'm savouring and chucking into the blue Calibra as it's dash was royally cracked hahah

So many wires hahah it's crazy.

---------------

And then it was the blue calibras turn.

What a crazy steering wheel from the previous owner. I'd keep it but y'all know me, i like going for factory fresh with my own touches.

-------

And we're up to date for now.
Crazy amount of progress in the last 2 days I've had free for these cars.
Hoping to get it all done by the next fortnight or so, fingers crossed.

Thanks for reading so far guys! Any questions let me know!

But it's been a crazy awesome learning experience! Loving it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous