Paperclip test not working: ABS light doesnt flash any codes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Paperclip test not working: ABS light doesnt flash any codes

by Red_Calibra » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:36 pm

Found the ALDL plug and tried out the paperclip method of shorting out the first two pins, A+K as shown on the guide on Topbuzz.

Shorted out pins, got in drivers seat and switched on ignition.

ABS light stays on and doesn't flash anything at me?.

I waited for about 5 minutes staring at the light, it just stayed on. Tried starting the car, same thing, light stays on.

Could really do with some advice here folks, MoT is next week!!!.
Red_Calibra

by dannypacu » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:40 pm

i never done this test but i thought it was the ECU light that flushed
but i could be wrong:)
dannypacu

by WillsToy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 pm

At a guess you may have a bad connection or the wrong plug?
I am guessing that you abs light comes on from switch on normal.
Have you had a quick look round all the sensors to check there etc and clean them I.e inbetween the toothed ring.
It has been know for dirt to affect them. Also check the gap i believe haynes mentions a 5mm gap between sensor and ring but as long as it's not too big you should be ok.
When mine failed i had lost the rear toothed sensor, it had fallen off somehow??
Hope it helps some

Will
WillsToy

by Red_Calibra » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:02 pm

The plug I'm using is the small one in the engine bay on the top right hand ( passenger ) side, next to the horn. I think its the correct one. Yes, the ABS light stays on upon switch on and doesn't go out. A few months ago, it used to come on, then go out and intermittently flicker back on and off, but eventually after a few miles it would extinguish. Not so now, its staying on constantly.

On the passenger side front, the tip of the sensor looks to have been coming into slight contact with the toothed ring, theres a few signs of wear there and there's also a thin crack in the toothed ring at one point.

I would have thought that the light would have flashed some sort of fault code at me to report a possible problem with that part of the ABS system though?.
Red_Calibra

by TommyC » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:10 pm

It should be the ECU light flashing not the ABS light. Does the ECU light come on when you turn the ignition on?? If not you might wanna check the bulb!!

The ABS problem.....

As your car is a 91 the ABS sensor is mounted in an aluminium block, which is bolted to the steel strut. Dissimilar metal corrosion occurs on the mating faces and builds up over the years. This acts as a wedge and pushes the ABS sensor into the toothed part on the drive shaft.
You need to un-bolt the ally block and clean off the corrosion with a file or something (this is much easier said than done, I had to drill out the bolts on mine).

If you're lucky, then the sensor isn't buggered and can still be used. If not then you'll need a new one. Try and get the sensor and mount because i couldn't get my sensors out of the ally blocks. After a certain year the mounting blocks were made out of plastic so this was never a problem. I don't know if the newer ones fit both though.......

Hope this helps you in time for the MOT!!!!
TommyC

by WillsToy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Sounds like you are in the right place for the plug.
Can you do the ecu test???
Sounds like you are doing everthing correct, i had to clean my plug up a little to get a good connection, it had some green/white mould like corrsion just like you can get on batterys sometimes.
If you have a ohm meter just try a check to make sure of your connection.

regards
Will
WillsToy

by Red_Calibra » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:31 pm

Cheers guys, I'll make an attempt to remove the sensors and their housings tonight.

So, let me get this clear, when performing the paperclip test, I'm watching for the ECU light flashing a code at me, not the yellow/orange ABS light on the dash?. The Topbuzz details say watch for the ABS light flashing?.
Red_Calibra

by cornishtaz » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:30 pm

I've just checked my fault code procedure and it says

"Dis-engage the diagnostics plug from its socket.
This is positioned at the rear of the engine bay on the passengers side on cavalier/calibra’s, on the astra3 it’s in the fusebox, and on vectra’s around the handbrake.
It has 10 pins.
Short pins A & K to read the ABS codes. (for example)
The ABS warning light will start to flash as follows.

The code 12 is first flashed three times, this is a marker
If a code is stored it is then flashed three times.
The code 12 is then flashed three times, this is a separator
If a 2nd code is stored it is then flashed three times or the first code is repeated.
The code 12 is then flashed three times, this is a separator
etc

To clear codes you should disconnect the battery for a minimum of
10 minutes and then re-connect.

ABS. Short pins A and K on the diag plug

Early models which have the old ABS system where the control unit is located at the side of the passenger seat in a lump in the carpet do not usually have this fault code facility. Check whether the diag plug has a wire at location K.
Calibra 2WD H reg models should be able to read codes out. "
cornishtaz

by beer_monster1981 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:55 pm

i tried that test same thing as car wouldnt start n when it did ecu light was on, now car engine starts but ecu light stays on, the light only flashes when i get bout 4000 revs when drivin then it sputters, so i have 2 change up gear, gonna do mot work n then put it on diagnostic 2 find out problem,
beer_monster1981

by Red_Calibra » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:31 am

Right, after much searching through forums and reading the Haynes manual, I've found out that my car is fitted with the early ABS-2E system, which has the ECU located under a carpet cover next to the passenger seat.

The plug I was trying to test through in the above posts, was the ALDL plug next to the alarm system horn, which it turns out is for diagnostic tests of the alarm!!.

So my ECU that I need to test looks like this:-

Any idea what pins I need to connect up on that?. I've read elsewhere on these forums that the early ABS-2E system can flash the fault codes, but I've seen no info anywhere as to what pins on what part of it to connect up via a wire or paperclip.

Any advice appreciated. This MoT is getting closer, and I'd like to try and get it resolved without paying a fortune for either the dealer or an auto electrician to do for me. If the worst comes to the worst, I'll need to consider the ECU+wire *bodge* to eliminate the ABS light upon start up, just to get it through its MoT, but I'd rather attempt to solve the problem for obvious reasons, before going to that extreme.

Cheers.
Red_Calibra

by TommyC » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 am

Sorry dude, can't help you with that. Mine's a 93 redtop so i don't know much about the earlier models..........

Good Luck!!!!!
TommyC

by johnny_adidas » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 am

thats def not the one u need to put the paper clip in. ill take a pic at dinner time if i can and show u exactly but the topbuzz how to is very clear. just from memory its the closest connector to the dash in the top right corner as u look at the engine bay. im almost certain its brown with a bit of grey.

Its the ABS light that should be flashing for you. not the ECU light as someone else said. it should flash 12 to let you know there are no codes stored at the very least.

by the sounds of this above though you cant read the codes urself

"Early models which have the old ABS system where the control unit is located at the side of the passenger seat in a lump in the carpet do not usually have this fault code facility. Check whether the diag plug has a wire at location K.
Calibra 2WD H reg models should be able to read codes out. "

failing that id just take it to a vauxhall dealer, should only be 20 bob or so and they will be able to tell you exactly whats wrong and what needs changing within about half an hour.
johnny_adidas