Possible Steering Rack Seal

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Possible Steering Rack Seal

by brianakanishin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:22 pm

A quick question regarding steering.

I woke up this morning with a big puddle of oil under front of car. Seems to have come from steering rack.

Firstly, is this going to be an expensive job if it is just a seal or secondly, is this a big job that could take a while a relieve be of my house in payments?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Possible Steering Rack Seal

by Cliff » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:30 pm

If it’s the main seal I believe the rack needs swapping - if it does, while I’ve never done it myself, I’ve heard it’s a pretty nasty and time consuming job. If you’re doing it yourself that’s maybe less of an issue since you’re not charging yourself! But if you’re taking it to a garage, get a quote for fixed price work first.
Site Admin
Site Admin

by brianakanishin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:07 am

Won’t be able to do it myself. My body won’t let me. Going to be a rather expensive pre Christmas then as it needs steering, UV Joint covers, service and MOT. Am wondering if it is time to take it around the back, into the woods and shoot it.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by brianakanishin » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Update on my steering rack problem. Turns out it was the cooling system. They told me that it wasn’t really needed in this country and the part was obsolete so they removed it and put in a bypass. Dodged a bullet on that one.

On another note, did the Cally have rear headrests? I have had mine since 1996 and it never came with them but there are holes. We’re they an added extra?

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 am

That was a lucky break, not sure you don’t need the cooling but fingers crossed they’re right. V6 runs hot so a number of cooling features are to avoid engine bay cooking! Anyway, no head rests in mine - 1997 model. Holes are there though....
Site Admin
Site Admin

by brianakanishin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:22 pm

I hope they are right then. They did say that unless I was ploughing around Silverstone it would have no adverse effects. Which was odd thing to say as I live near Brands Hatch. .

Going to have to find another way to attach a dog seat cover to back seat. Bungee straps may work.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net