Rear Parking Sensors

Any electrical issues

Rear Parking Sensors

by Pinner-man » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I would like to fit rear parking sensors. When I look at either Ebay or Amazon there are 100's of kits to choose from. Most have some good reviews but then the same kit has some bad ones as well. I would be interested to know if anyone else has fitted sensors recently and if so which kit they used. I am not interested in the kits that have a distance indicator which has to b mounted on the dashboard, just a buzzer would be sufficient. What would be useful is the facility that the distance at which the alarm is activated can be adjusted.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

Re: Rear Parking Sensors

by Cliff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Not something I can offer a recommendation on - only bought reverse parking sensors once, from eBay and with the distance indication. 12 months is about all I got out of them...
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Hi

The reliability is my main worry, it seems that the bad reviews come the customers, like yourself, who had problems. Did you replace the faulty units.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:29 pm

In all honesty, I didn't. I had them on my Iveco Daily van, it was a works van and after they gave up the ghost, so did I - relying on mirrors instead. Rather than chance eBay/Chinese clones,
Might be better to try a branded retailer - scorpion makes alarm equipment, immobiliser etc http://www.scorpionauto.com/home/produc ... ing+sensor
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi

I could not find a supplier of sensors manufactured by Scorpion but by chance I found a company - Trading Direct who supplied items with the same part Nos. They claimed that they had never heard of Scorpion, they said that if Scorpion was selling units with the same Part Nos Scorpion was simply reselling their items, of course it could be that Trading Direct are just reselling Scorpion units - I am not sure! However the Trading Direct sensors are guaranteed until the car changes owner. I have ordered the DPS 400 kit. It contains 4 sensors, the sensitivity can be adjusted and they do supply different colour sensor heads. Of course they did not have any colours that matched my car. When I receive the units I will let you know how I get on. The cost was £49.99.

Regards
Pinner Man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:43 pm

Sounds good, looking forward to the update. Why not take some pics as you fit them etc - would make a good how-to guide for the site.

I can help you put the pictures up etc if you struggle.
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:22 am

I have started the project. I would recommend that the kit is purchased from a local supplier who can offer advice. For instance the sensors have to be fitted a minimum height above the ground - this is to prevent them being continually activated by reflections from the ground. The kit I purchased the signal is radiated at an angle 30 degrees, the supplier recommend that the sensors are fitted at least 40cms above the ground, I have set mine at 49 cms. The cables linking the control box, located in the boot, to the plug on the back of each sensor can share the same route as the wires to the number plate lights - All good so far. The fit is supplied with a cutter to make the hole in the bumper for the sensors BUT this does not help to drill the hole that is required in the metal bar behind the bumper to connect the short cable at the rear of each sensors to be cable linking to the control box. For my kit it has to be approx 1cm in diameter. I do not have a 1cm drill, it took a long to file the hole to the required diameter. I have done two of the four holes so far.
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:09 am

Sounds like you're making progress and this is good information - perhaps you could take some photos and build a how-to?
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Hi
I have now completed the installation, the system works well. See attached a few notes on how it was completed.

Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:03 pm

Nice job!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Admin
Site Admin