Snowflake

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Snowflake

by craigyboy » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:10 pm

Can you not get a wee cheap runaround and take your time
doing up the calibra?
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by wuffy » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 am

Terry I have problems with mine too and im kind of in the same boat, as mine is my daily driver also, but im trying to sort bits and bobs as I go along, I have patches of rust coming through that need sorting, sunroof don't work and my head lining is sagging at the boot end, I will sort those at the same time, I have water getting into the boot from somewhere and soaking the boot carpet wet through, and as a result its started going mouldy :( there is a smell of petrol coming from the back end, I suspect that to be the top plate that has rusted, so I need to sort that, and while im at it new fuel lines front to back, the rear sub frame could do with stripping and given a good rub down and repaint and new bushes, I need to fit new engine and gearbox mounts as the engine feels like its going to fall out when I gear down into 2nd, theres probably a few more niggles that ive missed but you get the picture, id love to sort most if not all of these problems myself but I just don't have the time, space or tools to do it, but im not going to let that stop me, persevere mate. :)
1996 ceramic blue 16v ecotec
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Tkeenan2107 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:01 am

rich30mex wrote:The problems are not major the car is running at the min so strip the engine and rebuild (as was your plans anyway) a compleat gasket set for the xev is not dear

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 13&alt=web

get 4 part worn road leagle tyres about 40 quid for near me or ring motorhog in Doncaster part warn will last 6 months at least

If I remember rightly tosh said he had a set off struts for you off the mamba

I have 2 sets off headlights I'll lend u one till you get sorted

As for the gears have you looked at the linkage or tryed to adjust the cable see if that helps

And get the exhaust temp welded till funds are better that should keep you mobile for a few monthes for less than £100 and a bit off hard work

There's a place in Rotherham called Rotherham rebore he will pressure test and check the head for cracks and also skim it if it needs doing he's sh1t hot been there years up near Tivoli

If I didn't have so much on I would sort it but got way too much on at the min I can give you an hour here and there that's about it mate
And as for the body work like I said Saturday rub it down and primer it up your going to have it professionally painted anyway so it's more a case off stopping it going any ferther than it is making it look good for the time been pal

Hear what Ya saying rich, just rather get the parts on so I'm not swapping and changing that's why I asked what the name of that part was in the expansion tank. So when new engine goes in everything is in that needs to be.

craigyboy wrote:Can you not get a wee cheap runaround and take your time
doing up the calibra?

I wish I could afford to mate but with just starting back at work after 6 months off just trying to get back on my feet, and do what I can with the cally.

wuffy wrote:Terry I have problems with mine too and im kind of in the same boat, as mine is my daily driver also, but im trying to sort bits and bobs as I go along, I have patches of rust coming through that need sorting, sunroof don't work and my head lining is sagging at the boot end, I will sort those at the same time, I have water getting into the boot from somewhere and soaking the boot carpet wet through, and as a result its started going mouldy :( there is a smell of petrol coming from the back end, I suspect that to be the top plate that has rusted, so I need to sort that, and while im at it new fuel lines front to back, the rear sub frame could do with stripping and given a good rub down and repaint and new bushes, I need to fit new engine and gearbox mounts as the engine feels like its going to fall out when I gear down into 2nd, theres probably a few more niggles that ive missed but you get the picture, id love to sort most if not all of these problems myself but I just don't have the time, space or tools to do it, but im not going to let that stop me, persevere mate. :)

I feel for you pal, I'm no mechanical or body repair guy but I like to try and do as much as possible that way it doesn't cost as much or shouldn't, I get experience and knowledge of working on the car and engine, which I feel is always good. It's just a bad time of year lol as there's plenty of local guys just everyone has a project or getting there main cally ready for shows this year haha
I'm gonna find me a reckless woman,
Razor blades and dice in her eyes,
Just a touch of sadness in her fingers,
Thunder and lightening in her thighs.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rich30mex » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:53 am

I'm sure some of the others members will agree with me in this
The cars are 20+ years old and you will be the luckyest man alive to find a minter cheap or it becomes a project car from the minute you pick it up
I have had mine nearly 5 years now and I'm still working on it when I got it I had to do loads off work and I too am no mechanic or body work expert. My first billing I turned up with primer on the bottom off the doors and sills at this time my le was my daily too I just did bits on a night and weekend but the work paid off in the end
What I'm saying is it wount happen over night
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Tkeenan2107 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:49 pm

I know you did pal, I'm just a bit ocd when it comes to my car and hate it not looking presentable along with undrivable

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Tkeenan2107 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:26 am

no Dave second engine is still in bits, getting everything off and cleaned and my possibly spray some parts just to spruce it up, car is currently off road though to a makor pain in my *** problem which I just don't know how to to even start trying to fix so saving a bit of cash so I can have the auto electrician come out he's good but expensive too, said it could half an hour or a full day but will find what he problem is.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rich30mex » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:20 pm

Why the auto electrician Terry ???
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Tkeenan2107 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi sorry, not been on for a while so just been plodding along with stuff on my own, since changing the head lights 2 weeks ago every day for a week the battery was flat in the morning and when I finished work, so I got another practically new battery only covered 100 miles stuck it on lasted a day, then again for another week twice a day the battery was flat I can get it jumped started with a good set of leads, so got it running one day last week took it to a local garage they tested the battery and alternator said everything was fine told me to turn engine off he kept the tester on said its fine, and walked back in the shop, I closed the bonnet went to turn it over and nothing, go and get the bloke against he stuck his tester on it and it was down to 5v and we watched as it went down, I couldn't believe it was being drained that fast, the auto electrician I use is really good has a good client base and iv had him out a few times for more simple things but this just seems major with how quick it's draining, he said it could take half an hour or 5 hours he doesn't know but said he would definitely find the problem.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DjWhitelion » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:01 am

keep going strong.
i have had mine for 7 years now.
Still going. But at times. it has been hard. If its not your daly driver. then put it away to you money is there or will power :)
Keep going and keep it up. You will get there :)

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous