Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

by Chavtastic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 pm

More parts arriving today

Genuine Saab oil to get me going and put 500 miles of testing on the car, prior to the first track event (Spring 2015!!!)

Also got some sealant so I can drop and clean the sump and a new filter etc... and new gaskets for the turbo, manifolds etc... engine will have a bit of a refresh before it goes in!

Saab Viggen clutch kit, it's £230 but apparently fine for 500bhp

My wiring adapter loom from Nige. Only two wires to connect, other than that it's plug and play!

And my ECU! Unlocked and mapped to stage 5! Just reading that label makes me mega excited :mrgreen:

I have also found somewhere to get a 3" bore exhaust system fabricated in 304 stainless. The plan is to have one silencer box plus the silencing in the backbox. Then, as an additional trick up my sleeve, a decibel insert (for noise restrictions on track). I just need to buy a 3" downpipe prior to this, and that is the exhaust system sorted.

On the chassis front... this showed up too, a steering rack brace to tighten everything up!

And anti-roll bar mounts for the 26mm Saab ARB.

I have also sourced some 17x7.5J wheels (genuine BBS), so the pink compomotives (7J) are up for sale. And just to be even more indecisive, I'm contemplating just getting a set of 8J rims to allow me to run 245 profile semi slicks. Cannot wait to throw this thing round a track :)

Body wise I have found some headlights with plastic lenses in (lighter than glass) and also fitted some lightweight mirrors (no pics of these just yet)

More soon
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Chavtastic wrote:My wiring adapter loom from Nige. Only two wires to connect, other than that it's plug and play!

I think James needs to be having words with Nige considering what he got from him & what I'm left to work with!! :evil:
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:09 pm

To be fair I sent Nige the Calibra footwell plugs for that purpose, to make it plug and play.

Go easy on him, he's in hospital today for bowel surgery.

He's a good guy too. Not as good as Tim. But better than Shifty.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:09 am

Fair enough.

Don't suppose you have any of those 3 small connectors going spare do you? I could do with some but I don't want to chop James old Calibra loom as he's wanting to sell the engine, loom & ECU complete.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Gargi » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:29 pm

what s a trick,you have double garage????? :think:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:18 pm

Dan - No sorry but any Cavalier petrol or Calibra will have them. Maybe even Mk3 Astra
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:20 pm

Yes buddy double garage with upstairs
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by UndYinG » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:34 am

Haah lol!1!1!1 this is fun, he meant "TWO FORUM THREADS" hahha noobs!1!1!
A Collector Never Stops Collecting!1!1
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Gargi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:03 pm

hahahahah yeah i mean in forum garage,not private.hahah :happy-bouncymagenta:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:33 pm

This picture says it all. Ecotec engine is out, Saab engine is almost ready to go in, and the car has had a first coat of matt black paint

Also completed is this 5-stud rear suspension unit

With polybushed whiteline anti-roll bar and K-mac adjustable rear bushes

This is now on the car!

For the front I've got the Saab 9-3 subframe and 26mm anti-roll bar back from the powdercoaters and built them up using polybushes. It should be really stiff.

Also got a few other bits done while I was there

On the inside I've been scraping off loads of sound deadening, 3 bin liners and a spare wheel well full so far

And then drilled out the spot welds on the spare wheel well, starting with a centre-punch and 3mm drill bit then working my way up to 7mm with cobalt drill bits

Boot was then painted

And 3mm aluminium sheet cut to shape, and bonded in with silicone. It was then drilled and pop riveted using 3x30mm rivets. This has saved around 10kg in itself. Really cheap way of shaving weight off your car!

I need to mount the battery tray in the boot next, and finish painting the interior.

In the bay, the ecotec engine has been removed along with most other things. The pedal box has been swapped for the Saab 9-3 one

Engine wise, I've recieved my GT3071 turbo and mocked it up on the engine. The compressor inlet is very close to the standard engine mount

But not a modified mount. I trimmed off a lug for the aircon pump as well to neaten it up.

I've also refitted a few engine ancillaries to check clearances and routings etc. over the next week I hope to finish building it all up, possibly paint it and have it ready to go in around Xmas time.

Busy busy busy!!!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:39 am

I've started cleaning up the larger rear calipers, the plan is to run 286x20mm vented rear discs

I'll give them a good clean, a coat of paint, some new bleed nipples and fresh pads.

A few more bits have turned up too, Siemens Deka 630cc injectors, LUK slave cylinder, a cheap oil filter (for flushing the engine) and threadlock for assembly.

Slave cylinder fitted means one finished F23 that should hopefully be a key part of how well the car performs! As soon as the engine is done I'll mate them up.

More soon
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Okay had a busy couple of days on the car and got a fair bit done!

Engine bay first, it was pretty ditched, so I went about tidying it up. It's never going to be a show car, so it was just a quick job

Started off coating the whole lot in degreaser

I then jetwashed it all off and treated a few patches of rust and drilled out the spot welds for the battery tray, airbox fittings etc

Then painted it the next day, just brush on black

Pulled the wiring loom back through from the interior. It's meant to pass through the pedal box itself, but the Saab box has a smaller diameter hole so I cut a new one.

Anyway, put the loom roughly in position and started adding a few bits like headlights, HIDs etc...

Added a steering rack brace, wow, what a bit of kit. Seriously impressed. I reckon you could pick the car up off that thing! Just a note it doesn't fit the standard Calibra rack, I had to swap to a 9-3 rack to get the correct diameter. You can get a poly rack mount for the other end too for £20, which I'll be doing.

You can just about see where I've added some aluminium plating to the bulkhead. This is where the heater matrix and aircon pipework passed through, I've just used 3mm aluminium sheet and drilled some holes in it for grommets. I figured these will be easy ways to pass wiring through the bulkhead in future. I have a wideband, oil temp etc to add.

Also done is the servo refitted. I used a 9-3 one as it seems to be in perfect condition compared to the Calibra one. This is a common theme with Saab parts, they all seem so much better finished. Just random odds and sods throughout the car are galvanised, painted or just better quality! Also fitted the Vectra B 25mm master cylinder to give a better braking effect.

Bay looking a little more complete. I did the scuttle panel with an aerosol after removing the VIN plates. These just pop rivet back on, nice and easy.

Braking plans are as follows. I've ditched the ABS to save weight, improve feel and make bleeding easier. I'm running new copper lines from the m/c to the fronts, and then down a single line to the rear of the car via an adjustable bias valve. Should look something like this

Back to the B204 engine, I pulled the sump off as they are notorious for sludge buildup

Thankfully just some oil and only a miniscule amount of sludge

The baffle plate comes off with a few torx screws, as does the pickup pipe underneath. Gave this all a really good clean with brake cleaner then applied the GM/Saab liquid gasket (these do not run rubber or cork gaskets)

Painted and back on the engine and torqued up to 22nm

I've also spent a short amount of time removing the casting marks on the inlet tophat and semi knife-edging it for better airflow. Nice easy mod with a few grades of grinding stones.

The 630cc injectors are in, meaning the inlet side of the engine is finished. I've laid the loom on it and appear to have all the plugs accounted for! This was the last one. Coolant sensor.

Going to do the balance shaft delete and turbo pipework next and a few other minor jobs before it's ready to go in!

Body wise I popped the rear quarter windows out, and traced around them with a marker pen onto the perspex I'd sourced earlier. This was then cut out with a fine jigsaw blade and offered up / adjusted as necessary.

All cut out and pop riveted in! I had some rubbers that would have fitted well, but I prefer the raw look of the rivets. There's some black silicone in there too for a stab at weatherproofing... but seriously who gives a s**t? It's a ****.

Need to sort the rear window out next (lightweight bootlid is refitted!) and get my front bumper lightened as much as possible.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:00 am

:text-yeahthat:
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:36 pm

I'll third that, usually split diagonally so you still get brakes if one line goes down.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Plenty of race cars running that exact setup

Also I've only got one outlet for the fronts, and one for the rears... unline on a standard Calibra where you have one for each wheel

I'm using new lines, run internally as well so less risk of damage
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext