Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

by Chavtastic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:22 pm

Tkeenan2107 wrote:Waste as your not shedding a lot of weight really, for a starter the integra type R would have been a better choice to start, the holes in the rear bumper you talk about a 1/4 mile drag strip your going to 2 possible tracks so not really needed, personally the car as it was wasn't to my taste as tosh knows if it was standard and with leather seats it would have been a nice car, minus the exhaust blowin, but hey dude your money and time good luck to you, I can think of many more that would have been a better option

I see your point about the Integra, they are cracking cars, but I've just come off the back of having a highly modified Civic Type-R that I'd reached the limit with on how fast I could go. So an ITR would be quite a similar exercise.

I'll be reaching 130mph ish on the Nurburgring and Cadwell Park, so the holes are needed. And for the sake of 15 minutes with a hole cutter - why not?

As far as Calibras go it's a solid shell with good miles, bought for peanuts. And as for the weight loss I reckon it's going to lose around a quarter of a tonne, and should be able to prove it :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Tkeenan2107 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:04 pm

Well I can't agree on the holes I think the best set up would be a touring set up on a Cally, yes the Cally you have was in good shape for a Cally as there's many bad ones out there now, you should shed 250kg easy it's breaking the 1ton mark that will make a difference also being front wheel drive won't help, the b204 option it a good choice, but again each to there own will be interesting to see how it goes. Good luck
I'm gonna find me a reckless woman,
Razor blades and dice in her eyes,
Just a touch of sadness in her fingers,
Thunder and lightening in her thighs.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:19 pm

How do you think the handling will compare to a similarly set up 4x4 calibra, purely out of curiosity as I'm determined to get mine track ready soon
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Tkeenan2107 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:32 pm

The 4x4 will handle better regardless, yes it's not the best 4x4 system in the world but it's still 4x4, and the rear wheel drive always out does front, you can only put so much power through the front wheels before most of it is wasted
I'm gonna find me a reckless woman,
Razor blades and dice in her eyes,
Just a touch of sadness in her fingers,
Thunder and lightening in her thighs.

Terry
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:53 pm

KERR_SE9 wrote:How do you think the handling will compare to a similarly set up 4x4 calibra, purely out of curiosity as I'm determined to get mine track ready soon

For a pure road car I prefer 4x4. It makes a huge difference in traction and stability, especially in the wet.

For a road and general track car, I'd also prefer 4x4, for the same reason

For a pure dry track car (like this) - front wheel drive is better. It's loads lighter, far less transmission losses and more reliable. I'll be having a limited slip diff too don't forget, and the Calibra isn't proper 4x4 anyway.

Tkeenan2107 wrote:Well I can't agree on the holes I think the best set up would be a touring set up on a Cally, yes the Cally you have was in good shape for a Cally as there's many bad ones out there now, you should shed 250kg easy it's breaking the 1ton mark that will make a difference also being front wheel drive won't help, the b204 option it a good choice, but again each to there own will be interesting to see how it goes. Good luck

You "Can't agree on the holes"? Well okay, if you don't want to agree with physics that's fine. What's a touring set up? If by that you mean a comfortable, lazy type car why would I want that? I want to go faster not slower. Breaking the one tonne mark is irrelevant. Going from 1000kg to 990kg is no more of an improvement than the first 10kg I lose. And what makes you think I'll shed 250kg and not say 300? Do you have any experience in Calibra weight reduction?

Being front wheel drive won't help what? It'll certainly help drivetrain losses and weight. It'll certainly help it be predictable on the limit. And with a limited slip diff, equal length shafts and 225 or 235 wide semi slicks it will have plenty of traction. The 4x4 is chocolate, it's a reactive system that only sends a minute amount of torque to the rear only once ONE front wheel has broken traction, it's a joke. When this is done I'll fire it up the dragstrip and film it, so you see what I mean :)

Not being funny but you're new here (that's fine) but you've just waded in here spouting off a load of s**t. Clearly you know very little about track cars which is also fine, just please don't try and lecture me. All my modifications are done with one thing in mind - speed!

Tkeenan2107 wrote:The 4x4 will handle better regardless, yes it's not the best 4x4 system in the world but it's still 4x4, and the rear wheel drive always out does front, you can only put so much power through the front wheels before most of it is wasted

That's why you have boost set by gear, and something called an accelerator pedal. 400bhp is fine in front wheel drive, because you use only what can be put down at any given moment. So only on the faster sections of track in 4th/5th gear do you apply full power.

Take a look at some of the lap times done by FWD cars round the Nurburgring compared to RWD ones of the same power and weight, and you'll see you're wrong. It's all down to transmission loss and power to weight ratio.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Just a little progress!

It's passed it's MOT, so that's cleared the way for engine removal and stripping the running gear off

Next up I thought I'd test out a paint finish I'm considering:

Nato military matt black paint. Brush on, smooth finish

And some cheap mini rollers, with two different heads (foam and a wool-like one)

One scrap Calibra shell to practice on

It went on really easily.

After masking a line up the rear quarter, here are the two types of finish

Here's the foam roller finish, which was s**t

And the wool roller finish, which was 99% perfect

It was touch dry in half an hour, and any minor flecks of dust etc can just be sanded out and re-done with a second full coat. I'm very happy with the result and have decided to use it on the whole car. Why? Well it's going to have a few fibreglass panels on it, and instead of paying a grand or so for a paintjob, I'd sooner put that money towards something manly like a diff. So it's going Matt black, inside and out.

The only question is - what colour to do the wheels, wing mirrors and vinyl graphics. Neon green, tango orange or hot pink? Not very important. For now I'm focusing on collecting more parts and getting on with it!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 pm

I picked a different set of brakes to use in the end and cleaned them all up. They are 300mm floating discs. Nice and light and plenty powerful enough.

I'm torn between Ferrodo DS2500 and Mintex 1166. I might just stick with what I know (Ferrodo). They are really good when they get warmed up to operating temperature!

I also dug out the wiring loom for the B204 engine today along with the ECU, and a spare set of footwell plugs from a scrap Calibra. These will be sent off to Nige tomorrow for a custom loom adapter, immobiliser delete and of course a remap!

I can really feel some good momentum here in getting this thing built!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by craigyboy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Coming along nicely mate :clap:
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:25 pm

Cheers mate :mrgreen:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by KERR_SE9 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 am

Getting there, be good to see what's achievable with a so called, slow & heavy car! Good luck, be watching closely.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:13 am

Chavtastic wrote:I also dug out the wiring loom for the B204 engine today along with the ECU, and a spare set of footwell plugs from a scrap Calibra. These will be sent off to Nige tomorrow for a custom loom adapter, immobiliser delete and of course a remap

Got the loom adapter from Nige also.

Have to admit that I haven't read any of the stuff he send with it yet (I guess I probably should really lol) so if you figure out where the non-obvious stuff connects to before I get to it then let me know! :D
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:36 am

DanSE4 wrote:
Chavtastic wrote:I also dug out the wiring loom for the B204 engine today along with the ECU, and a spare set of footwell plugs from a scrap Calibra. These will be sent off to Nige tomorrow for a custom loom adapter, immobiliser delete and of course a remap

Got the loom adapter from Nige also.

Have to admit that I haven't read any of the stuff he send with it yet (I guess I probably should really lol) so if you figure out where the non-obvious stuff connects to before I get to it then let me know! :D

I think it just needs an ignition live and one other wire mate :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Chavtastic wrote:I think it just needs an ignition live and one other wire mate :)

Hmmmm, I think there's a little more to it than that. I'm not doing anything more with James's car until the weekend after this one now so won't see it again until then. You'll see what I mean when you get yours.

Of course it may just say in the paper work with it "ignore most of the stuff hanging off it & just connect these two up"! :D

I guess I really should read it......
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 pm

I've just checked my inbox and Nige told me it's plug and play except needing "a permanant supply and a ignition supply connecting" :wink:

That's so simple I bet even Shifty could do it.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:35 pm

I guess the half dozen unconnected wires with masking tape on (labelled but only glanced at them) & the bank of fuses that are only half connected can be ignored then! :lol:
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext