Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: Bens Garage - Work safe edition!

by Chavtastic » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:38 am

It's got 10/11 months MOT on it so I'll be using it on the road too. If I split the front lines early enough, that's basically three complete brake lines, meaning if any one failed I'd never have less than either 2 front brakes (better than OEM), or one front and a rear (same as OEM)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 pm

Gaz coilovers with custom made solid bearings :)

Just having a few days break from this, before cracking on. Got plenty to be doing :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Not much to show from today other than I confirmed the 9-3 radiator will not fit in the standard Calibra position. You do need to use a Saab rad, because the flow layout is different to a Vauxhall one. But in a Calibra bay, the rad fouls on the fan cowling.

So, I drilled out the 28 spot welds that hold it in place!

Out it came

Saab rad now fits in place, the plastic pegs on the bottom fit into the Calibra rubbers, but the upper mounts don't line up with the OEM fittings.

All fitted in place, I just need to sort out the upper mounts. Cable ties most likely!

Sorry for the s**t picture, but you can just about see here I've got the wiper motor, scuttle panel and wipers re-fitted. I didn't get pictures, but when removing the heater system you leave a large hole in the bottom of the scuttle panel that is right behind the dash... so this had to be plated over with some aluminium sheet pop riveted into place.

In other news I've finished stripping down the B205 engine (spare I was using for ancillaries) and that will soon be out of the way.

Some more arrivals came too

- Securon harnesses (3 point, snap-on connector, e-marked / FIA approved)
- ATE super blue racing brake fluid
- 3/16" copper pipe, brake unions, p-clips, bending tool, cutting tool
- Bonnet pins for fibreglass bonnet
- Oil temperature gauge. I've also ordered a M14x1.5 to 1/8 NPT adapter, so the sender can screw straight into the back of the block

Next jobs
- Finishing off the engine build
- Fitting the brake system
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:58 pm

So I've been getting stuck in, working long days on this!

Here's the timing cover removed. The thinner chain runs the balancer shafts. Removing the chain and blocking the oil feed to the tensioner frees up a couple of horsepower and makes the engine more responsive. They have also been known to fail, so it's a no brainer really. Timing cover was then cleaned and painted

I was pretty happy everything else on the engine would now fit, so stripped it down one last time for a clean and some paint

Engine mounts got a quick blast of silver, and some silicone added to the voids, to reduce the flex and stiffen them up

If I'm still unhappy with the mounts I'll look into aftermarket ones... but this can't hurt for a few quid!

Engine was then degreased with a toothbrush and given brush-on paint for the block and spray on for the head

And built up with ancillaries again. The turbo is now fully plumbed in, after finding a 9-3 oil return is a direct fit whereas a 9000 one isn't (bolt spacing).

Engine is now basically complete bar a refurbished cam cover, an aux belt tensioner (in the post) and some minor wiring:

These two wires need to be sorted for the T7 APC (boost controller)

And I have to match the wiring up for my 3-bar map sensor

Then it's time to get it off the stand, fit the crank oil seal, flywheel, clutch and gearbox (can't wait!!!)

Back in the engine bay I've finished tidying away the bay loom, I've fitted the hydraulic clutch pipe and plumbed the clutch pedal into the brake reservoir. It's all coming together I think. Fingers crossed!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:32 pm

Oil seals are done on the enigne and it's off the stand

Flywheel is on with threadlocked bolts

Viggen clutch, checked on the input shaft before fitting

Driveshaft oil seals fitted

Slave cylinder pipe

Engine and box are now mated :mrgreen:

Started making up the brake lines from scratch

I've now got brake lines for the fronts finished (just waiting P-clips) and the rear line is now fed through into the car, just waiting on the floor being painted.

Finished taking off the sound deadening

Continued de-greasing and scrubbing all the residue off

It's now ready for paint to be finished on the interior, which will mean dash etc can all be put back in!

Back to the recaro seat...

Looks like it will fit the Vauxhall runner quite easily with some brackets :)

All coming along nicely!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous