My Cav Turbo rebuild...

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

My Cav Turbo rebuild...

by m00k » Thu May 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Well now I prove the Vauxhall fetish in me lives strongly J

This has been sucha long time coming and wasn’t gonna do a thread till it was complete, but seeing it at this stage I got a bit excited and there’s not an awful lot left to do... I think. Most prob know bout the car, but its been off the road since august 2005 ffs what started as a bit of power increase worked its way into a rebuild!

For those who don’t know, its 1993 cav turbo 4x4. Not many of these left, last estimate is set below 300 for the Uk out of 5000 made. It’s only just tipped 90k and standard power is 205bhp through a 6 speed box. Top speed standard of 160 and standard 0-60 around 6.3seconds.

Initially plan was for a fmic, uprate fuel pump, steel head gasket, uprate plugs and phase 2 software. This developed into headwork by S. Gault and engine rebuild wi ceramic clutch and all new timing kit, arp bolts/studs etc. Engine was out and rebuild in good progress but once it went back in came upon problems that it was turning over but no power to fuel pump and no spark from the coil in any shape or form. Tried EVERYTHING under the sun and getting info on the C20LET proved a nitemare eventually we narrowed it down to loom and Keith Robinson kindly nipped over to ballymoney a few evenins to lenda hand and parts with the donation of his loom it fired up, so Keith let me have it and I got him a replacement, thanks again chap ;-)

A coscast head was purchased and given to S. Gault for fettling then the car landed upto ballymoney to Alan at Roddy’s country Garage. Findin someone even willing to take the cav on was difficult but cant fault Alan for his work and wi the problems of the loom etc he wasn’t gonna let it beat him!! Some of what was replaced, bound to have left a load out:
· arp con rod bolts head studs etc,
· steel head gasket,
· uprated fuel pump,
· uprated spark plugs
· front mount intercooler,
· silicon hoses
· all new timing kit,
· water pump
· oil pump,
· ceramic clutch,
· uprated actuator,
· new uprated alternator,
· phase 2 software,
· 3.5bar fixed fuel pressure regulator,
· irmscher 30mm lowering springs
· xe cams.
· All filters etc etc
· Transfer box oil changed
· Coscast head
· Camshaft sensor
· Coil & module
· Fuel pump relay
Wi car being up in Ballymoney and me working about 60 odd hours a week at that point didn’t get up to see it that often so pics are limited

and I’m just thinking I don’t have a pic of the engine back in… it is there I assure you lol

Also ordered were all the small bits for interior/exterior,
· brand new velour mats,
· flaps,
· badges,
· weatherstrips,
· wiper arms,
· door mouldings,
· new front and rear bumpers and plastic reinforcements,
· new headlights and indicators,
· Clean set of 2nd hand fogs, (new ones are 100quid each, cant justify it at the mo lol L
· side repeaters,
· one new mirror,
· all the clips for the skirts and door mouldings etc,
· new central lockin module
· new battery

So wi engine out and sorted and back in, it was time to look at the outside, car has always been clean, genuine and straight with original arches etc, but I had a score on the pass side which needed painted, small bit of lacquer peel on the edge of the spoiler which no one would notice but annoyed me and few stone chips on the front. Was easier to respray the car than start tryin to patch the small bits. Friend in Banbridge sorted the prepping and stripping side of things and another friend sorted the painting. Have to say many thanks to these guys they’ve done an immense job couldn’t have hoped for a better finish anyone looking paintin done I highly recommend them pm and I’ll give ye details!!

Once she was stripped of the bumpers and skirts etc was afraid in case we’d find a few holes/rot, but happily she was very solid. Few pics of the paintin/strippin

Scrape on pass side

Car before goin for paint (cant really see scrape, but one of those things u know its there it bugs you)

Strippin, bumpers skirts windows, mouldings etc etc all off

Car primed

Just painted

Finally got it home bout a week and a half ago, so still haven’t got chance to get the polish/wax near it or even dress the tires/plastics etc but well pleased wi the results…

previously the front bumper lip had been cut away a fair bit for clearance on the intercooler and I didn’t really like it, so new bumper bought and trimmed as closely as possible, damn good fit

Sooo… that’s her for now, spare set of rims are currently in nu luk, cars been cleaned underneath and shall be wax oiled un due time, also hopin to get it onto axle stands and start cleaning the brakes all up or orderin new brake,s although the ones that are on it weren’t on that long and are all drilled etc so shall see wats what when I get closer look again. Possibly some powder coating of the suspension arms etc and then preppin for mot, sound sys all has to be dug out of the roof space aswell ffs and a trip to audio advice to get that all sorted again..

Comments welcome, and expected horse power to be anything over 280 all bein well.

new headlights are yet to be fitted, shud freshen it up nicely, locked transfer box on its way for the motor aswell
m00k

by RobbieV » Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 pm

Well done Mook, excellent thread 8)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by bodgetastic » Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm

Great work mate, bet your well pleased to get her back on the road after all that time.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by m00k » Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 pm

well she still aint back on the road, but at least she's that step closer, needa get the tax and mot sorted but hoping come june/july it'll be going full swing. been a long and expensive 3 years!!

thanks for comments guys.
m00k

by Mitch1965 » Thu May 01, 2008 10:09 pm

That look aewsome mate!! Job well done. As said above, bet ya chuffed to bits with that mate!!! 8) 8)
Mitch1965

by m00k » Thu May 01, 2008 10:25 pm

yeah well pleased, just the small bits to tidy now, wanna get underneath resealed and maybe powdercoat the arms etc, clean up the brakes and calipers too

not a cali but i have one of those too, thought i'd post it up ere for ya's
m00k

by splinter » Thu May 01, 2008 11:48 pm

That is sweet mate.
Not many about now sadly..

Nice one that mate..
I get blown by Twins everyday !!!!

The old skyline gtr felt exciting even when it was in a car wash !!!!! :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rio » Sun May 04, 2008 9:09 am

Great work mate
rio

by baby9bird » Sun May 04, 2008 10:52 am

Nice thread, hope your not going to take it out in the rain though!
baby9bird

by Shince » Tue May 06, 2008 8:55 am

nice work m8, looks smart n clean.
Shince

by Allys Cally » Tue May 06, 2008 7:51 pm

that looks great mate, had a few cavalier's in my time but never had the pleasure of owning the turbo, had a go in my mate's though and loved every minute driving it :D
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by m00k » Tue May 06, 2008 9:45 pm

i doubt it'll see much action in the rain to be fair unless its a show its goin to!!

cheers for comments folks, its been a long and frustrating process but its startin to come together at last

yeah i've loved drivin the cav t from the mo i got it!! seats are far better support wise than the cali turbo ones!
m00k

by m00k » Sun May 11, 2008 1:27 pm

got the rims back y'day and the locked transfer box arrived on fri mornin aswell

needa get the new centre caps ordered up now along wi new wheel bolt plastic covers and the new badge for the centre of the spoiler. Found a bit of petrol leakin at the fuel pump too hopefully just a clip needin tightened.

locked box
m00k

by m00k » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:03 pm

progress still being made (although slowly i must say)

new fogs arrived so they should set off the front nicely once the new headlights go in aswell!!

how do vaux justify the prices for these, 130notes each??? wtf

the irmscher bushes for the camber have also been pressed into the rear legs and rebuilt back up, jus to fir the enw headlights/fogs etc and underseal and then test for mot

shudnt be far away now i reckon!!
m00k

by tim74 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:12 pm

good work mate shouldn't be too long now hey hope it passes for ya
tim74

Next