My beloved calibra has been in the garage for 3 months!!!

For all general things Calibra related

My beloved calibra has been in the garage for 3 months!!!

by Hughthatch » Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Hi everyone. Woundering if you could help me. I have had to put my calibra into the garage as it started cutting out while driving. It would only restart if I turned off the key and turned it back on again. Slightly dangerous at 70 mph or going around a round about. After this it would then display the engine light.

The garage have replaced the crank sensor and the one of the relays. The one that controls the fuel pump and other things. Though it still does it.

She is a n reg 2lt 16 valve. Not a red top, just the eco tec. She is 100% standard apart from the radio.

Any one got any ideas? The garage have spent around 40 hours now, they have removed all the wiring and tested it, the voltage to the fuel pump is now constant after the relay was replaced. Usually from a cold start she is 100% not even the engine light on, though after around 10 mins of driving she cofs, either cuts out or just turn the engine light on. Though still drives fine. Anyone had anything like this?

Ps, just signed up though have had the club calibra window signs in my car since I bought her. Still flying the flag!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: My beloved calibra has been in the garage for 3 months!!

by cabbyman » Sat May 19, 2018 11:20 pm

My neighbor had the same problem with his 1984 manta. After spending hours testing things we found a secondary filter next to the pump and fuel filter (not the pressure control valve thats metal) its the one that looks like a small black plastic thing with two rubber fuel pipe connections on it. After removal we found it absolutely gunked up with crap. Dont know if its the same on the calibra but worth a look. Also try a camshaft position sensor I think there had been several revisions of this part. If your garage cant read the ecu fault codes because their scanner is not old enough, they can pin out the connector and use the mil light to read flashes and get a code or clear codes, google will show you all you need.
Hope it helps
Paul (cabbyman)
Featured in Modern Classics magazine (Jan 2018)

A classic car is like the "olde" sweet shop, They both bring back memories..
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rich30mex » Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 am

If it's just a loose wire it can take days if not weeks to find if it's cutting out here's where I would go I would not start it again if your in a safe place coast to a holt and see if there's dual at the rail (does the ecotec have a bleed nipple) if so push that if there's no fuel and you have changed the relay drop the tank and look at the wires to the pump see if there ok then check the plugs in correct on the rear drivers side classic leg there's 2 together it will be the round one not the flat one if my mind serves me right
THE TEA BAG Calibra l,e number 4
THE WELLY rio verdi ecotec on a N reg
UNCLE ALBERT gray 8v on a J reg

Best engine bay 2011
Best engine bay 2014
Best in show 2016
Treasures cup 2016
Best engine bay 2017
Best modern retro total retro 2018

mag features
practical classics
modern classic
performance vauxhall

Have car have cloth will clean need life
Events Coordinator
Events Coordinator

by Cliff » Sun May 20, 2018 3:04 pm

I think that I’ve read a few articles where the camshaft position sensor fails on this engine. It’s made of plastic and when the engine gets hot expansion occurs and the sensor fails bringing the EML on and causing symptoms like you described.
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Hughthatch » Mon May 21, 2018 8:57 pm

Guy, thank you so much. I will feed this all back to the garage and see what they say. I though it was going to be something I would have to live with...

Will let you know how I get on in a few days
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by cabbyman » Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 am

Just wondered if you have sorted the problem yet ???
Featured in Modern Classics magazine (Jan 2018)

A classic car is like the "olde" sweet shop, They both bring back memories..
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net