Servicing

For all general things Calibra related

Servicing

by Kevster » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:04 am

Hi

I'm after opinions on servicing please.

I have a SE8 with so far full vauxhall main dealer history, just run in at 53,000 miles. I know a guy at my local Vauxhall garage and joined to what they call the Masterfit club. Basically i get half price MOTs and pay a bit more than taking the car to an indipendent garage for servicing.

Now... due to the age of the car and it's value is it worth

A) Servicing at a main dealer, genuine parts
B) Servicing at an independent dealer, genuine or patten parts
C) Servicing myself at home (which I can do most of) buying the parts (genuine if poss) from Auto Vaux etc

I think i Cambelt might be more than i can do but willing to learn when it's due next, i have cahnged the air conditioning compressor

does or will this have any effect on it's value going forward or to any of you guys or gilrs on buying a car with or without the above

Thanks!
The 2nd car: 1997 SE8, as it came out the factory (probably better) minus the removal of the cassette tape storage and original head unit (my only two mods) The daily driver: 2015 SEAT Leon FR 184 and Saab 9-3 2.0T 175 Wagon
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Servicing

by Cliff » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:06 pm

I service my own - option C - I like a challenge and to learn and it's a part of why I bought the car. Did my first ever cam belt on it too - v6 model - not as hard as I expected, just common sense and deeply satisfying if I'm honest even if the first time took about a day. Have stripped it down several times since then and can do it in an hour or so now.

As far as value goes I honestly don't think it will make a lot of difference - my experience of buying and selling cars is that generally having a full service history is good on the part of the garage seller since they can hike the price on the sale but when they buy it from you "it doesn't make a lot of difference". If you do get it done by a garage find yourself a good, local and reputable garage - dealers is normally quite a bit more and no guarantees on who it is working on it.

What is important is regular services and if you choose to do it yourself keep a written record with receipts for the materials - even take pics.
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Allys Cally » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:12 pm

most guys on here do their own servicing and maintenance, just the joys of owning these kind of cars. if your struggling i dont doubt theres probably an other member close to you who would be willing to help you out
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Kevster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:44 am

Whoops posted twice, needs deleting.
Last edited by Kevster on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
The 2nd car: 1997 SE8, as it came out the factory (probably better) minus the removal of the cassette tape storage and original head unit (my only two mods) The daily driver: 2015 SEAT Leon FR 184 and Saab 9-3 2.0T 175 Wagon
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Kevster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:45 am

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

At least the Callys are of the age where things are tied up in electronics. I used to service my own when i had 90's cars in the 90's.

Keeping a record and receipts for parts is good enough if I was buying it.

With my other car I don't have a choice it has to go to a garage of some sort for the warranty.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net