Saving another calibra!

For all general things Calibra related

Saving another calibra!

by Jordcazorla » Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:07 pm

On Thursday morning, before my university lectures I dropped my recent purchased calibra off for its MOT, which it failed! Corroded brake pipes mostly, rear brake imbalance along with a tiny bit of rust. Garage appeared to be having me for a ride, refused to quote for the job because it'd be too expensive and in their words "not worth their time", picked car up very distraught thinking it was the end of the road, however the garage then somehow decided they'd pull a figure out of the air of £400 to do all the work.. Alarm bells start ringing, ask a few questions as I'd already been in contact with my usual garage in Surrey (I go to uni in Kent), which again made my alarm bells ring, garage suggest I don't drive it anywhere, "it's a death trap, imminent brake failure, blah blah blah". With that swirling through my head, I drive the car home and get the car to my mechanic this morning. We walk round the car together, and what could be an even longer story than what I've already posted short, I walk away a happy man in my ex bosses rental car, knowing my beautiful R reg northcape calibra is in safe hands having a complete brake restoration, a small patch of welding on what is a very solid underbody, and further down the line at around Christmas, new front and rear suspension.
Now as a student and with little money, the choice to go ahead with repairs which could turn out more costly, was very very hard!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Saving another calibra!

by v6 steve » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

did the 1st garage give you a fail sheet ?
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:17 am

There are 2 ways to look at repair bills:
The bills will cost more than the car is worth. :(
It will cost less to put right than it would to buy a different car & sort out all the problems it has. :)
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Jordcazorla » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:08 pm

Yeah got a fail sheet, which is now with the garage being worked through.. It was a fair MOT, just garage seemed to be a bit of a p**s take so would rather it be done by someone I know.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net