New toys for my interior

For all general things Calibra related

New toys for my interior

by rips » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 am

At dawn & dusk, white LEDs are difficult to see behind white dials so I wanted a change.
I got these through yesterday. I have already fitted the oil pressure & volt gauges to my spare centre panel but I've not put the pointers back yet (these are now green) or calibrated them.
I'm really looking forward to fitting these to the binnacle at the weekend.

1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: New toys for my interior

by Callyman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:36 am

I look forward to seeing it fitted and lit up. :D
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by rips » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:41 am

I tried out the oil pressure & voltmeter dials last night. They seemed much brighter than the white OEM ones but these dials are well lit anyway. The top of the speedometer will be more of a test but I won't get around to doing this until the weekend.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:20 am

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Callyman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am

Does look good, not sure about the light reflection though.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by rips » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:17 pm

Airbag light.. Not noticed that one. I'll check my OEM panel to compare later. I'm sure Dan discovered a really strange ruling for this warning light & the MOT.

The colour comes from a film behind the stainless overlay. They do loads of different colours & also sell the film separately. There are different patches for each element which is also why the red rev limit, low fuel & high temp markings show up in red even though all the characters are green.

The main aim was to improve the markings at dusk. The speed readings (particularly at the poorly lit top) were difficult to read wheh white LEDs were trying to shine through gaps in white dials. Once it got properly dark, this was not a problem.
I still have the white LEDs. The green digits should show up a lot better now because there is always a contrast with the dials no matter how much ambient light there is. That's the theory, I should find out tonight.

Andy, I know what you mean about the reflection. I'll have to see how I find it in normal use.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:22 am

rips wrote:Airbag light.. Not noticed that one. I'll check my OEM panel to compare later. I'm sure Dan discovered a really strange ruling for this warning light & the MOT.

I have an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag, I took out the bulb for the SRS when fitting it.

If a car is fitted with an airbag(s) then the SRS light must come on with the ignition & then go out after a few seconds to show the system is functioning. If it stays on or doesn't illuminate at all then it's a fail.

In may case the question was regarding the change in the MOT rules in 2012 regarding Supplementary Restraints, it suggested that the vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective. My tester took the view that I have no airbag, no light & therefore no problem but it's pretty much down to the individual interpretation by testers of the ever changing guidelines I guess (I've passed 3 subsequent MOT's without any question over airbags or SRS lights, same tester each time though).

It's a bit like those same rules stating that if a car is fitted with HID's then it must also have operative levelling & cleaning devices. I know of Calibra owners with HID's who've passed MOT's fine since with HID's & also heard of a few failures because of it.

In your case, as you have an airbag, I suspect that having no SRS light illuminating on the dials would lead to MOT failure & I'm sure that's always been the case.

What ya gonna do?? :?:

*EDIT* Here you go, section 5.4 - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... hicles.pdf

Worded: "Check that the Supplementary Restraints System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) does not indicate a fault in the system". - I presume it not coming on at all would be reason to suggest that it indicates a fault but I guess that's also open to interpretation.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:46 am

DanSE4 wrote:In your case, as you have an airbag, I suspect that having no SRS light illuminating on the dials would lead to MOT failure & I'm sure that's always been the case.

What ya gonna do?? :?:

I was not expecting those panels to be a part of the kit anyway, so I don't mind swapping the originals back in. I did not damage them when removing so this will not be a problem.
I have contacted the manufacturers to make them aware that this is missing & I have nearly a year to go before my next MOT so I'll wait for their answer.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:54 am

DanSE4 wrote:I presume it not coming on at all would be reason to suggest that it indicates a fault but I guess that's also open to interpretation.

Having read that part of the document, it is as clear as mud & depends on how difficult the tester wants to be.

I could put an older steering wheel on:
"There's no airbag."
"But no tell-tale either so you are only guessing that it should have been there anyway."

:lol:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:44 pm

I hope to have a replacement panel with an airbag telltale soon. :D
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:05 pm

Ha-ha, have Metal-Monkey gone "oops"! :lol:
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:56 pm

:D
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:02 pm

DanSE4 wrote:Ha-ha, have Metal-Monkey gone "oops"! :lol:

Something like that.
They have 2 other templates on file, both of which have the correct telltales for what I need but neither of them are the same as what I have.
1 has a low fuel sign where the glow plugs should be & nothing at all in the top right (is this catalyst?) & the other has this last one substituted for a fog lamp telltale.
If this last one is catalyst then I will need to photo my OEM one & send it.

Edit: My owner's handbook completely ignores several symbols which are on this panel. Glow plugs being one (naturally since they never made a Diesel Calibra) & also what I guessed above as the catalyst telltale.
Last edited by rips on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:25 pm

They had that one available to send out.
They also had another which was the same as mine except the far right lamp (which I believed to be catalyst overheating) looks like a fog lamp bulb. Since the right 2 on the top row are bulbless & do not even get mentioned in the owner's manual, they have sent me this one.
I've just fitted it so I have an airbag light again.

Thanks for noticing & mentioning it.
I didn't spot it at all & it could (should) have caused me some bother at the next MOT.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next