2wd to 4wd

For all general things Calibra related

2wd to 4wd

by tosh1985 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 pm

hi peeps just a random question for the more experianced than i which dont take much but i resently bought a transfer box prop and rear axle to convert to 4x4 on the pick up truck as it seems the right thing to do for a pick up.
but i have no idea on the full extent of the job mainly the re-wiring involved, what is the main diffence in the wiring and the best way to go about it?
i have mainly two options and would like your opinions
its either fit a c20xe (it originally had fitted) i have sat spare which is slightly upgraded and runs well, with either an f28 or an f20 4wd which are hard to get hold of by the looks of it (which i would have to find one of either)
or fit the x20xev turbo engine running 6 injectors (the one i brought to billing) with a vxr turbo and injectors (which i would need) run on a stand alone mega squirt (which i have) on an f28.
way i see it its either keep it simple and be limited on power or push my luck with the turbo??
whats ppl think cheers in advance
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: 2wd to 4wd

by tosh1985 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:20 pm

ye i want to lock the box pal and will need the tunnel and what not welding in but i noticed stephen did a full re-wire on his se2 and wondered why and whats the difference, also whats my best way of going about it,
theres no engine in it ye but it was a c20xe running 2wd, i have either c20xe or xev turbo to put in it..
ye its got 2 extra injectors fitted running of an mf2..

Megasquirt ms2 3v. Set up for 2.0v 8v turbo. has a base map. That gives more fuel and boost. Ready to plug and play. Made 300bhp on a 2.0 l 8v.
but will need it mapping for the xev turbo running a vxr turbo and injectors if i deside to fit that.. seems a lot more cash an work to get there but would you think it would be worth it in long run as its fast now with a z-let turbo putting out 215bhp 2wd so the added power with the 4wd wont just be wasted on 2 wheels and spins like mad
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:05 pm

If you do go 4x4 and lock the box, you don't need any extra electronics. Bear in mind there are different sizes of couplings and props for the n/a and turbo 4x4 gear. Use turbo stuff (inc F28) it's stronger.

I'd personallyjust fit a limited slip diff and better front tyres. That should be more than enough and is much quicker and easier job.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by tosh1985 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:05 am

ahh nice one
im not a fan of messing around with wiring
what you mean by different sizes of coupling and props pal?
not looked into lsd yet but shal do pal cheers for your advice much appreciated
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:00 pm

the tx box, small prop(coupling) and the main prop are differnt on the c20xe 4x4 and the c20let, so just watch what one you get
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net