Saab B204e to Calibra SE5 - & So It Begins.....!

For all general things Calibra related

Re: Saab B204e to Calibra SE5 - & So It Begins.....!

by DanSE4 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 am

Richiem wrote:seems you like an engine out buddy!

I enjoy some of it, a lot of the "shizzle" that goes with it gets on my t**s though.

Had to do to James SE5 what I had to do to my SE4 which is fit an inner wing mounted washer bottle as the coolant header tank needs to go where the old washer bottle was. Surprisingly enough though the Saab one was almost a direct fit, couple of lugs on the inner wing (where the correct Calibra bottle would've secured to) had to be ground off but it went in quite nicely. Just have to extend the washer pipes & wiring for the pump next.

Replaced one of the brake pipes (O/S front) as that was corroding quite badly between the inner wing & bulkhead & the PAS pipework across the front is shocking so Andy is going to pretty much swap everything from the Saab over to the Calibra as it's in much better condition & also locates the PAS pump in a better position for the Saab engine.

Took a proper look at the loom adapter on Saturday as well, not quite the headache I thought when I initially looked at it & a read of the guide Nige sent with it (probably should've read that earlier really lol) made sense of it a bit more.

There's a fair few leads from the Calibra loom to feed to the Saab adapter (both to the wires coming out of it & also to the fuses in the block) but the majority of them will come from the 3 connector blocks in the Calibra footwell.

The colours mentioned in Nige's guide all relate to cables in those 3 connectors then there's a couple of permanent live's & the ignition live to find, nothing a meter can't sort out.

The one that interests me though is the speed signal. Even with the SE5 being a cable speedo the wire (as per Nige's colour guide) does exist to one of those connectors. Hopefully it's all integrated with the ABS already but just isn't in use in Calibra's with cable speedo's, will make my life easier if that's the case!!

I'm ducking out of things for a week or so now though as there's little more I can do until the B204 is back together again & has a gearbox bolted to it. James opted to have Andy put him together a decent F20 out of two he has & the engine is still in two halves. That's not something I'm overly interested in doing (plus I've got plenty of my own stuff to be getting on with without doing this every weekend) so James & Andy can sort that & let me know when everything is ready to be shoe horned back in! :lol:

James makes for a good scrubber though! :wink:

Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm

DanSE4 wrote:James makes for a good scrubber though! :wink:

DAMN straight! Well about time I got in on my own build thread! :geek:

First off is to say I'm HUGELY grateful to Dan, Andy, Zethos and Chris (non-member I think) for helping out! Couldn't have entertained the idea from the outset without their committed and brilliant help. MASSIVE MASSIVE THANKS YOU GUYS!

Okay, Dan's hipped everyone to the facts as we stand now. As most know (or will shortly discover) I'm very very green mechanic-wise. I mostly scrub, nod and try and learn. With that in mind, my explanations and impressions of things might not be the most informed, but Dan, Andy and Zethos are patient gents and so things do sink in slowly! I'm going to cite sources where possible, so anyone following my posts as a guide (which should never be done by anyone) can see my working at least.

This weekend we mostly spent putting the main bits on the block back. Head gasket on, timing set up, cam cover on with oil pump all good and packed with vaseline. Sump back on using Loctite 518 as recommended and with the correct smearing procedure duly observed. Added to that is a magnetic sump plug and the oil filter will also get some HDD magnets. As we're keeping the balance shafts it seems prudent. New seals and gaskets on pretty much everything that has seals and gaskets.

I've purchased a nice remote oil pressure sender adapter too for easier future access. Thread in the block for oil pressure switch is M14x1.5, but didn't check the Calibra pressure gauge and that's also M14. Bleh but no matter, new sender for me.

Now, given that Dan discovered the extent of the inner tyre wear you get from using the Saab subframe, we're likely to go back to the Calibra subframe. That's due a coat of Hammerite when it's out.

Next weekend will be F20 rebuild. Andy's confident about that though I've never seen that sort of thing! I've a corrupt SD card and no digital camera BUT managed to borrow a camcorder (yes really) so hopefully will be able to knock up a more detailed guide to at least this aspect, as that info doesn't seem to be 'out there' too much.

Once gearbox is done, clutch fitted, driveshafts fitted, rad/interooler/oil cooler fitted and all is mostly back together it'll be time to think about wiring, and then s**t gets kinda REAL after that...

Despite the overspend I've gone and done I still managed to pick up an ESSENTIAL component I'd neglected.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:44 pm

Hey there!

Well, cost is a factor. An F28 costs more than the Saab itself did. Got 2x F20s here (one 'known good' one 'practice') plus an F20 rebuild kit. If I were going for big power I'd indeed use the F28 or use the Saab box, but I will stick to 154bhp for now. Once brakes are done (V6 upgrade for 4-stud) I'll likely up that to the 185bhp of the B204L as I only need a boost controller (T5 type, already got one) and some vacuum pipes re-jigging, plus possibly a remap depending on if the software's there - Nige unsure but will remap if not. Both incarnations though are within spec for the F20, but the latter just a mite too much for the F18 I have currently.

Honestly you should see how I drive too. I'll never use 200+bhp. Dan will back me up there. :oops:

Advantages are that the clutch itself is now VERY easy to do in future, and I can retain my cable speedo and cable clutch. Drawbacks of course are I can't do above 60mph with any real fuel economy (which of course I'm used to now) and 200ft/lbs is all the torque I can ever expect to have.

All in all that made the F20 make sense. Went for the rebuild kit as a way of hedging some bets too, as the reports seem to suggest you'll go through X F20s before you find a good one, and at £50 a time plus a day's work to change it I thought I'd start off with a freshly rebuilt good 'un. :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:11 pm

(He's very right though! 8) )
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:54 pm

Miscbrah wrote:we're likely to go back to the Calibra subframe. That's due a coat of Hammerite when it's out.

That's a waste of time: Hammerite is not very resilient & will flake off in about 2-3 years.
Dan had a small pot of POR 15 somewhere & I can drop off some more at Andy's if you want. That stuff just doesn't come off anything, which is the whole point.

Sorry that I've missed the whole of this project. I've been away (mostly at work) every day. :roll:
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm not 100% convinced that the Saab wishbones are a "no-go" just yet as I'm hearing conflicting information from various directions (nothing unusual there)!

Currently awaiting verification from someone who's also doing this conversion & also using the Saab wishbones as to the level of camber actually produced (from the pics I was shown of the Calibra wheels on the floor with the Saab wishbones, I can't see the issue although there was no weight up front as the engine was still out).

Even if we use the Calibra ARB & wishbones I'd be in favour of using the Saab subframe as it's in much better condition than the Calibra one & won't require painting with anything.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Cheers Ian - will see how we go, kind of you. :) Zethos had his reservations about my subframe anyways, so not sure how much life is in it.

We wondered about Calibra wishbones on the Saab subframe, but as Andy and I eyed them up we weren't sure if they'd fit, or if they'd need drilling to fit the chunky Saab ARB.

I guess we can play Lego subframes so long as everyone's okay with December fast approaching and doing that! I'm not fussed which way we go (so long as it's safe) but I'd be fussed about putting people out. Very very grateful for all the ongoing assistance Dan. :)

We'll chew this over with one of those chicken burgers at the weekend. :)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Miscbrah wrote:We wondered about Calibra wishbones on the Saab subframe, but as Andy and I eyed them up we weren't sure if they'd fit, or if they'd need drilling to fit the chunky Saab ARB.

The Saab ARB wouldn't attach to the Calibra wishbones without drilling new holes for the droplinks, can't say I'd be keen on that idea although it'd be a shame to waste a 24mm ARB if it can be used. Doesn't look an issue to fit the Calibra wishbones to the Saab subrame though & not a long job to find out. I MAY even test that theory Saturday depending on how long I'm up there for.

I'll check that out too.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:38 pm

I wouldn't advise using the Saab front ARB on this car, because from factory Calibras will understeer. Adding a thicker front ARB without supporting mods will mean even more understeer!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:51 pm

I'm happy enough sticking with both the Calibra wishbones & Calibra ARB here, ultimately it's James's choice though as it's his car.

If the Calibra wishbones fit the Saab subframe ok (which I suspect they will) then that'd be my choice given the various factors to possibly go against the Saab wisbones & ARB in this instance.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:57 pm

Well last thing Sunday we were just getting the exhaust manifold on, and tightened up the final stud when the motherfather broke.

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Rangie1 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 pm

James engine.jpg
James engine.jpg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 11969 times
This should make somebody happy then :?:

See you Saturday Fella!!

Andy
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Miscbrah » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:13 pm

Oooh that's some sweet sweet work Andy! You're good at this s**t!* :D

* In-joke. :mrgreen:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Chavtastic » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Are you keeping aircon mate?

And what PAS pipes are you using? Cali or Saab?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 am

No aircon in the SE5 so the pump is being ditched, just got to make sure about shorter belts & clearance for the engine mount etc.

The PAS pipes & pump from the Saab are being used. For one, the pipes on the Calibra were pretty corroded & the Saab one's were near mint & also the Saab ones are longer at the pump end & we think using the Calibra ones could possibly have resulted in the pump not meeting the mounting position on the b204 which is something you don't really want to discover once you've put the engine in!

I wasn't there when Andy swapped the pipework over but I think he took the Saab ones from the reservoir & the join around the battery tray area. I'm sure him or James can confirm that.

Proposed engine in weekend (depending on where James & Andy get to with the F20 refurb this weekend) is the last weekend in November (29th/30th) so if you want to come & get cold & greasy then feel free to join in! :D
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext