How much PS fluid- Transfer box dead?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

How much PS fluid- Transfer box dead?

by Pedro80 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi everyone. Heading back from the airport with the missis, two streets away from home and I noticed a loud whining/grinding coming from the front end. The 4 wheel drive light came on, then the power steering died :(
Its a 1994 turbo so when I saw the power steering fluid leaking from the front drivers side, I feared the worst. I removed fuse 19, and it seems to have stopped the leak.
I was just wondering how much PS fluid does the turbo take? I know the turbo holds a lot, but 2 litres in and its still not reached level. I have done all the correct pedal pumping procedure. Do you think I'm wasting my time and there is a bigger problem to sort first?- 2WD will do for now.
Thanks in advance guys -always a great source of knowledge.
Pedro80

Re: How much PS fluid- Transfer box dead?

by bodgetastic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Sounds like the Transfer Box Ram Seal has gone, I assume it all came out the breather? Pulling fuse 19 doesn't always stop this so you will need to bypass the 4x4.

For information though, PAS is about 1 litre and Transfer box is 600mm
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by GreyDJ » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:38 pm

As said, if the P/S fluid is coming from the bulkhead area on the driver's side it is coming out of the breather pipe so big problem.

If it is appearing on the passenger side it is either a pipe fail or the core plug in the solenoid block popped.

Is it dripping out as you pour more in?
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pedro80 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks a lot for the replies. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be leaking the more I put in. I've poured 2 litres of fluid, but no leaks so far. I'm just wondering where it's going.
I'm guessing its a big job to bypass the 4WD. Could be the end of the old girl :(
How far could I risk driving it in this state before it causes more damage or becomes dangerous?
Pedro80

by Jamesyboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 am

Easy job to bypass the tx box, take the pipe from the tx box to the accum bulb, disonnect that from the accum bulb, and block it off to stop crap getting in the pipe, take the other 2 large pipes on the accum bulb and join them together. Keep fuse 19 pulled out, fill it up with PAS, and bleed the steering just full lock left to right a few times to release the air, job done. It can be tricky with limited room around the accumulator bulb area, i removed mine for ease. Mine was a bit of a pig to undo the pipes, but its really simple to do!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pedro80 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:08 am

Great- thanks for that. Doesn't seem too tricky. Would it be ok to drive the car the 4-5 miles to get it in my lockup without damaging anything else. I'm sure my PS system is bone dry.
Pedro80

by Jamesyboy » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm

I wouldn't , I would just get some tools and do it where it is
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net