Suspension Advice

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Suspension Advice

by bodgetastic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:28 pm

I've been weighing up a few options for the Turbo as I currently have standard shocks and the Irmscher Springs that came with the Cally.

Two options is either something off the shelf or Coilovers.

If I go coilovers there seems to be a choice of either Gaz, KW or H&R all of which are pretty untested on the Calibra and will require a bit of time to get my struts sent off and converted. Also means doing some seam welding to the rear turrets and some cross bracing. I've kinda discounted the KW kit so would be either Gaz or H&R. Anyone done any research into other brands or have any knowledge on these?

If I go uprated suspension i'm looking at either Koni adjustables or Bilstein and Eibach springs on which ever I go for. I've read lots of mixed things on these, the Koni gives me the option to adjust but I have heard these are firm even on the softer setting while the Bilstein seems to be a better quality. I'm currently tempted to go Koni on the rear and Bilstein on the front. Any thoughts?
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: Suspension Advice

by v6 steve » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 pm

i would never put coilovers on a car i wanted to drive ( so youll be fine with them ) there great for track use but not on our roads, i would go Bilstein with eibach or H&R springs thats the 2 set ups iv got, and they have been put to the test
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:41 pm

i thought bazv6er had changed his name for a second there :lol:

ok onto the serious bit, i've had bilsteins on both my calibra's and honestly can't fault them. i'm sure there's quite a few who will agree with me. i had a set of koni's on my old GTE and again couldn't fault them. thing is what suits one persons style of driving won't suit anothers (dont really want to go over the g-max thing again) as i found out last year.
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by bodgetastic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:16 pm

v6 steve wrote:i would never put coilovers on a car i wanted to drive ( so youll be fine with them )

Lol yes, coilovers sound perfect then :lol:
Its not like me to consider the sensible option :D

Allys Cally wrote:i thought bazv6er had changed his name for a second there
Thing is what suits one persons style of driving won't suit anothers (dont really want to go over the g-max thing again) as i found out last year.

Lol im hoping Baz doesnt see this thread :lol: . I'm not considering Gmax or any other brands. I like the idea that I can stiffen up the rears on the Koni's if going down the strip or similar although having not experienced either its difficult to know how much adjustment there is and how it would compare to Bilsteins whether they fall into the soft or firm side.
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

by D-Man » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Why nobody, who used/recommends Bilstein, does not mention exact Bilstein model he used? They have 4 or 5 different options, from soft to stiff.
I have koni sport + eibach springs. Cannot fault, but nothing special as well.
This year I will stick with current setup, but considering to switch to coilovers next year.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net