Track rod ends and wishbones - pairs?

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Re: Track rod ends and wishbones - pairs?

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:09 pm

I appreciate your advice, but if the wheels and tyres are straight and true, how can they affect how the car handles?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:38 pm

and how do you know they are ...have had brand new cars with problems that have went way as soon as the wheels got swapped over with another set, tyres made incorrectly with a flat spot (hard to see with the eye) or a bit too much rubber on one part ..wheels with a worn centre that throws the wheel slightly off ..even on a tracking machine it will not show every problem as they do not spin as fast as you driving
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Any other suggestions, anyone?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm

MadOnVaux! wrote:
Plus i found out my wheel spacers were warped and causing my wheels to rotate in a very strange way, so hence when they tracked it, it will have given a false reading....and as i dont need the spacers any more due to having bigger front discs and as such the wheels dont catch on the calipers, i am taking the spacers off.

This Calibra has been an utter ball ache ever since i bought it, but i still love it lol....even though i STILL have the rear knocking!!!! AAARGH!

so did you get new tyres after this ..if your wheels did rotated in a "very stange way" wont the tyres have also worn in a stange way ?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:38 pm

I didnt get new tyres after it no, but the wheels have been balanced and the tyre isnt out of shape or worn oddly.

It's not a wheel and tyre issue though i dont think as that would be shaking/vibration or similar wouldnt it?

This is a 'loose' feeling like something is worn somewhere.

It's only really been like this i suppose since the track rod ends and wisbones were done, which i thought maybe one of which could have been faulty or maybe they hadn't put the metal collars in the wishbone rear bushes, but if nothing is moving around or loose when they are moving/inspecting it, they cant be at fault.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:26 pm

Could a front spring cause this feeling if it was broken at the very top? and could that be missed when inspecting it like the garage has been? as if it will only show anything up while under load??

If so, that would also account for the random banging i get from the n/s/f area, which again my garage can find no sign of anything wrong!! :(

What about top mounts or top mount bearings, would any issue with those show up under inspection and/or MOT conditions??
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Yeah i get that heavy knock/clunk occasionally when turning full lock or nearly full, also sometimes randomly when driving on twisty B roads and lanes etc.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:18 pm

No, but i was looking for answers to my questions, hence the bump!

I could have started another thread instead?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:33 pm

top strut mounts are cheap enough from Vauxhall or LMF or Autuvox

I got them from here
http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/aca ... 5479N.html

along with new top mounts ...and though they list two top mounts they are both the same
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Fraz wrote:top strut mounts are cheap enough from Vauxhall or LMF or Autuvox

I got them from here
http://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/aca ... 5479N.html

along with new top mounts ...and though they list two top mounts they are both the same

Thanks, but i asked if the top mount bearings banging around could contribute to this bizarre handling i'm feeling?

and i have always wondered why they have 2 different top mounts, one for just the XEV from a set chassis number and one for all the rest....are they 100% the same then?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:22 pm

it could be any part of the suspension set up ...so until you start changing parts you wont be able to then eliminte those parts

no one will be able to put a finger on just one part and say thats what is causing it

son had the Ecotec and got the one listed for it..I got the other...and after getting the two we could see no difference in them, both fitted each of the struts and the sizes are all the same

I strippe dmine down and found the bearing was fitted the wrong way round, found a bearing was slightly bent on another occasion ..the top mount was coming away from the centre part ...so until you start getting bits off you will never be able to find out for sure
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MadOnVaux! » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:38 pm

OK cheers Fraz :)

How hard are the top mounts and bushes to fit, will i need spring compressors etc....i might get garage to do it when it goes in for wheel bearing
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:40 pm

yes you require spring compressors to change these over
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Fraz » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:09 pm

MadOnVaux! wrote:OK cheers Fraz :)

How hard are the top mounts and bushes to fit, will i need spring compressors etc....i might get garage to do it when it goes in for wheel bearing

you will need some basic tools plus a set of spring compressors 16mm 18mm 19mm 13mm sockets and spanners pliers mole grips torx bits or allen keys or whatever the top of the shock has in its centre, a spanner or socket to fit the top of the strut nut a 30mm hub nut breaker bar would be handy 10mm allan key to remove the brake caliper carrier ..few other things like a jack and axel stands, hammer ...and if your lucky you can split the track rod ends at the strut, if not then you will have to remove the two 15mm bolts holding the steering arms to the rack after taking the locking plate off with a screwdriver or leaver

once you have the strut off you can then use the spring compressors and release the tension on the top mount, undo the top nut and remove the top mount and bearing

easy really !!! I would have a go at it yourself as that way you can check everything yourself, a garage could not care less, all they care about is getting it done and out the door as quickly as they can and empty your wallet as well...hnce why they make mistakes and do things wrong
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:36 pm

I would rather take the complete strut off that doing it in place as you can then inspect the full strut and everything else, only if I knew everything was okay with the suspension would I consider doing it in place....but each way is feasible

you will not upset the steering geometry by removing the track arms as your not altering anything, just simply removing the complete arm , BUT if you find a worn strut top mount then your still going to have to get it checked anyway as if the tracking was done with it worn then it may well have be done incorrectly at that time

and that above was the simplified version
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext