HIDs into Angel eye foglights

Any electrical issues

HIDs into Angel eye foglights

by SAMARAI » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi guys and girls.

I just want to see if anyone has any previous experience or more importantly regrets of fitting HIDs into the Angel Eye foglights or not.

I find next to my HIDs in the low beam, the halogen H3 bulbs look that crummy yellow colour and there's almost no notable difference on the road ahead.
I thought of getting 5000k H3 to fit in as my improvement. I have 5000k in low beam atm.

Thoughts?

Cheers
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: HIDs into Angel eye foglights

by v6 steve » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:56 pm

no reason why you cant fit them (apart from they will be illegal in this country soon)
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by GreyDJ » Thu May 01, 2014 4:49 pm

v6 steve wrote:no reason why you cant fit them (apart from they will be illegal in this country soon)

I thought the problem is only with dipped beam HIDs. Do you know when?

AFAIK no OEM fits HIDs to foglights (too expensive for a marketing look which is all they really are now) so I would have thought the rules on bulb type would not be there. The MOT ignores their performance, as with main beam.

Unusually, the Calibra's foglights are above 600mm so the falling snow/limited visibility rule for their use does not apply.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MarkV6 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:19 pm

GreyDJ wrote:I thought the problem is only with dipped beam HIDs. Do you know when?

About two years ago (2012)

Copied from here http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/tp/hid-kits-new-legislation-2012/
new MOT criteria slated to come into existence on New Years Eve 2011 (for 2012), this is from the MOT Testers VOSA bulletin explaining the new EU MOT regulations which were ratified this year, and includes amongst other things, the testing of wiring harnesses, the testing for illegal HID kits.

Also here is the MOT testers manual for lighting
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_170.htm

If you can't be bothered to read it...

Apparently it's illegal it convert a headlamp unit designed for conventional filament bulbs to HID,
Vehicles equipped with HID lamp units from the factory must be fitted with headlamp self levelling and headlamp washers.

BUT........

The Calibra has projector Headlamp units fitted ie you can't see the dipped bulb itself. Sooooo if you were to get a lower K HID kit (4K) that doesn't give off such a bluish/white light you might be ok.

You pays your money and makes your choice :wink:

Saying that, a fair few of us on here might be running with 6K HID kits.......
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by craigyboy » Sat May 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Get them fitted mucker it makes a big difference
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by GreyDJ » Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 pm

The MOT words say that the vehicle with HIDs MAY be fitted with levellers etc. and if fitted they must work. No mention of HIDs without levellers being a fail. So if they meet the 'aim' test they should be OK.

I agree, it makes a huge difference, it makes the car drivable in safety at night.

I have a pair of 4K 50W HIDs with small ballasts fitted. So far no problem with MOTs (or other drivers) as the beam pattern is good and does not cause a problem with the beam aim tester in the test.

You could put them in the fogs but it would be a bit of a hassle using them.
Cavalier CDi 96 Grey
Cavalier SRi 93 Satin Red
Cavalier Mk2 CD130 86 White
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Mon May 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Cheers lads. Here in Australia HIDs need levellers and washers to be legal but since Calibra has projector headlights HIDs aren't as obvious.. Reflector headlights scatter the light everywhere there is no control like projectors.
Anyways I wanted to also put HIDs into my foggies as atm they look like dull Parkers next to my HIDs. I wouldn't use the HID foggies much but at car meets etc :p
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Tue May 06, 2014 12:38 am

I too apply the rear foglights to the ones that tailgate excessively and also the ones using high beam behind me

I think it would look good with HIDs also in the fogs as atm next to the HID low beams they do nothing!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net