SAMARAI's 'Oops I did it again' Calibra the 3rd Thread!

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

SAMARAI's 'Oops I did it again' Calibra the 3rd Thread!

by SAMARAI » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:26 pm

My fellow .com enthusiasts reading this, kherrow! :P hoping you're all well!

So oops I did it again! Quite literally hahah!! [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
I present to you Calibra number 3!
1993 Spectral Blue C20ne Auto 4cyl.

These were the first photos I took of her as i drove her away from her old home and first fuel stop. The mods/restoration began before leaving the servo! Hahah (more on that bit later below)

The line up at home!

Welcome to the family little blue one! XD

Long story short I saw that it popped up on Gumtree and the colour is what really stuck out to me.
Being that the 8v auto engine in it had high kilometres =bargain price, but the body and paint was in really good knick, I thought to myself, well I have my old really low kilometres+new clutch 16v manual sitting in my white parts Calibra so I thought SCREW IT and with the help of a mate I'll soon be swapping the internals from the white Calibra into the blue one and converting the auto blue Calibra to manual. Have never attempted anything like this before, so shall definitely be good experience. My friend has done swaps like this before so he'll be my saving grace!

The blue Calibra was a bargain and came with rims and meaty tyres, aftermarket tail lights and front Angel Eye headlights, sound system, exhaust, boss kit racing steering wheel and some other bits.

After the engine swap is done I'll focus on the aesthetics.
Tinted Tail lights and rims from my red calibra will get swapped onto this blue one and the rims off the blue onto the red with a stock set of lights going into the red.. Don't worry the aftermarket chrome tail lights won't see the road again ;) hahah (a little too contrasting to the dark paint job)

Blue ones plans:
-Darkest legal window tint
-move the red one's window spoiler over
-clean up the interior, handbrake boot etc
-white leds into the speedo backing
-possibly colour code the bumper/door trim strips and handles
-swap the chrome backed Angel Eye headlights for my old black backed Angel Eye headlights and convert the s**t Sonar projectors to the stock projectors that are 5 billion times better in spreading the light on the road. +5000k HIDs
-footwell leds
-sub and amp
-The turf in the footwells will make a comeback ;)

For now that's it!
Here's to Calibra journey the 3rd! Hahah never planned on a 3rd Calibra but they say, you're only young once right?
Hahah Nah mostly because my old parts car engine has such low kilometres @110,000 and a new clutch I thought why let it sit and waste away or flog it off.. May as well use it since I can trust it! :P

First thing I did at the servo, was reverse the ugly mesh previous owner's placed instead of the stock tow hook cover (which I was astounded was left in the boot not thrown away) while at the servo hahah literally asked the servo worker for a screw driver to undo the mesh Hahaha

And I also swapped the orange side indicator covers for the tinted ones from my red calibra after I finished fueling up. Couldn't wait till I got home hahah.
------

As she sits currently :)

She kept losing all coolant.. Found out it was this pipe!

b****** was so hard to get to.. Previous owner glued over the 15cm split and taped over it! Lazy idiots! Hahah

Other than that just tyre shined the wheels and replaced the boot window rubber seal as it was ripped in one section so the white one donated it's mint seal.

Can't wait to do the swap and feel my old engine back in action! It'll really be a happy moment turning the key for the first time!
Here's to Calibra journey the 3rd!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: SAMARAI's 'Oops I did it again' Calibra the 3rd Thread!

by rips » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Bodywork looks quite tidy.
Good luck with the conversion.
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:39 pm

rips wrote:Bodywork looks quite tidy.
Good luck with the conversion.

Yeah she's not too bad.
Cheers mate.. Let's see how we go!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:40 pm

So so true! I must admit, v6 I've never driven. And probably shouldn't.. Might want one! Hahah
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:37 am

So the Blue Calibra, is now the Top Priority... Nice...

I hope all goes well, with fitting the other Engine and Gear Box...

As for the Tail Lights, Yes them Altezza ones stand out too much on the Blue, but will actually suit the Red...

Red Tail Lights on any Red car, I'm not really captivated by that... :naughty:

Good Luck Amigo...
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:15 pm

EddeyDancer wrote:So the Blue Calibra, is now the Top Priority... Nice...

I hope all goes well, with fitting the other Engine and Gear Box...

As for the Tail Lights, Yes them Altezza ones stand out too much on the Blue, but will actually suit the Red...

Red Tail Lights on any Red car, I'm not really captivated by that... :naughty:

Good Luck Amigo...

Yes the new Calibra has plenty for me to fix up and refresh and keep busy on!

Thanks amigo, will be a big job but worth it to keep this blue Calibra alive longer. The auto box is slipping gears, so not long left currently.

Might try photoshop them on the red to see how they look.
Yes I'm not a fan of the stock factory red lights on any red car. That's why I tinted them, atleast the tail lights on the red look like a, shade of dark red rather than a shade of stock red that blends into the rest of the car and looks bland.

Thanks again champ
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:19 pm

Update time
So I connected the replacement radiator to engine coolant hose and was so annoyed that she still leaked coolant as I was pouring water into the coolant bottle. Fixed that leak then at temp she leaked some more.
This was my feels:

Turned out the new leaks were just loose clamps on some of the hosing connectors! Yay!
And as a result, took her for her first wash last night to celebrate :D

Was astounded at the colour (this photo is from last night, aka the first time I saw this thing washed and shiny since owning it.

Which brings us to today.
So today I swapped the wheels and numberplates between the cars.
And also the rear windshield spoiler.

I've decided I'm going for the overall darker car look for the dark blue cali.
I just knew swapping wheels and plates would suit both cars better
Now I need to desperately prep my old black Angel eyes to go into the blue cali because I cannot see the road at all and the adjustment is so screwed. I've also got to sort out the tail lights..

So the blue ones tail lights. I need some thought and suggestions.

A) should I black out the top silver strips on the current after market tail lights sitting on the car
OR
B) get another stock set of tail lights and tint them like on my red cali

What do you think? I reckon the tinted stock will give that overall darker look I'm looking for, the altezza ones stand out a mile on the dark paint job.

Also chucked on one of my smaller aerials on the blue cali thanks to our Eddey.

And I've ordered LED's for everywhere, and some other goodies so stay tuned.

To finish off this update, the turf footwells have made a come back for the lols :p

Hahah and that's all for now folks!

What's your thoughts on my tail lights lads and gals? Comment below.

Cheers!
#StaySexy
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:35 pm

A mod that just went in @1am in the morning hahah.

When ordering the dome light led panel I thought I'd try a new type the COB style like my angel eyes.. Omg!
It's like daylight now when it's dark out :p

Sweet.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:03 pm

Hey guys.
Small update!

So ever since I've owned this blue Calibra, the rear numberplate lamp bulbs were burnt out.
I've replaced now with leds.

Muuch better :)

LED's for the speedo and centre console coming soon! Can't wait.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by craigyboy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm

Good job mate,I fitted they leds to mine but after
a while they started flickering,I think you've got to
watch what make you buy.
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:01 am

craigyboy wrote:Good job mate,I fitted they leds to mine but after
a while they started flickering,I think you've got to
watch what make you buy.

Thanks mate. Best upgrade to young-ify the car!
I just got a set from ebay.
The set that's in my red calibra, was originally in my white Calibra for a total of about 3 years over both cars.. Now that's a good run! And I always drive with my headlights on.. So the leds really have lasted ages.
Sometimes I guess it's luck!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:02 am

A funky DIY life hack :P

Saw it on Facebook a few weeks ago, and I thought that's maaad so I made my own version.
Loving it!
Now the family will never lose their keys.. They're the worst. Always forgetting where they put them and then stress in the morning when they're late to leave for their destination.
(Borat accent) Not Anymoreee!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:25 am

Update time! [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

So firstly I decided that enough was enough and the tail lights needed some love.

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Sooo much better wow.
The aftermarket ones stood out too much on the darker blue colour car and they're not my style. I like to keep the classic Calibra look but freshen things up :)

Next up I went and put LED's in the dome light, glove box, boot and under bonnet light, gear selector and clock.

I also fitted a driver side pretentioner that was missing, replaced the knackered electric window switches and finally finally got the car to stop leaking coolant!

Check this out. I got a new overflow bottle from a wrecker. Got it home plumbed it all up and as soon as I poored water into the bottle immediate water started gushing out from under the car. And I couldn't work out why. It just didn't make sense, the water kept gushing from behind the firewall, each time I poored it into the bottle. I was like.. Well previous owner had disconnected coolant from going to heater matrix so I was baffled until I took the wrecker bottle out and noticed this massive hole on the bottom of the bottle fuaaaaarkkk hahah mystery solved.

So old bottle when back in that leaks a little under pressure. So I do need to source another soon. Anyone know of any that are available from ebay?
Cheers

Aaaaand as she sits.

Thanks for reading guys!
She's slowly looking and feeling better.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:48 am

That's a huge hole in the header tank. Really neat hole too. I can understand the welding seam getting split but that looks more like someone has drilled a hole in it.

Looks better with the OEM rear lights.

You don't seem to get offended by opinions because you opened yourself right up for comments with your turf footwells so here goes...
I don't think the tinted rear light suit flame red as well as OEM ones, but suit the darker blue colour a lot more. I would be tempted to not bother with getting the new ones tinted, but instead swap them over between the 2 cars.

That's only my opinion & you are welcome to disagree with it 8)
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:16 am

SAMARAI wrote:So I do need to source another soon. Anyone know of any that are available from ebay?

I'm pretty sure I still have the header tank from when I converted my 8v to V6, I'd have to go digging in my garage to check though.

If you can't find any & are stuck then I'll check & if I still have it, I'm sure we can arrange something. I've shipped parts out to Eddie before.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next