Advice on Calibra options

For all general things Calibra related

Re: Advice on Calibra options

by v6 steve » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 am

your 3 hrs away from me but if you drive it up here ill do your heads water pump timing belt and services for £350 and you pay for the parts if that helps
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by greyblue » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:01 pm

Thank you for your kind offer, V6Steve - much appreciated.

After much consideration and seeing as I have two other cars anyway, I think the 'sensible' solution is to dispose of the car. It has had eight years of fastidious ownership with me and I would rather sell it cheaply to another Calibra enthusiast who could fix it economically, than to a boy racer who would only run it into the ground, or worse still, a scrapper. It is a totally un-modified factory standard example with full service history for the last eight years and partial history prior to that.

Would you be able to suggest the best place to advertise it?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by rips » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:19 am

greyblue wrote:
Many a time I have been told that both of my Calibras have gone well past economic repair,

"Beyond Economic repair" is a matter of opinion. The people who state this often follow it up with "You could buy this for £xxx" but when you look into it, their example will need a full service including brakes/fluid, new tyres & will have a few annoying faults which need to be fixed.
By the time you add these costs up, you could possibly be better off getting yours repaired.
1995 Calibra 16v Ecotec Jungle Green
1990 Elan SE Pacific Blue
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by greyblue » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am

The car has now been sold, but will still be on the road. The new owner has owned a Calibra in the past and has decided to renew his involvement with these distinctive cars. He plans to have the cylinder head gasket work done and the car will always be kept garaged when not in use. For the car, it's a good move overall, as it will still be owned by a Calibra enthusiast and it wasn't garaged while I owned it. My involvement with Calibras has not ended, though, as I still own another Calibra - a 1996 16v automatic in Flame Red.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Previous